Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How would you hang this flag with this construction?

Article about: Here are the four corners of the flag, where as you can see it's just stitched on both ends. There are no eyelets, no sleeves, no hanging ties coming off of it. There doesn't appear to be an

Default How could this flag ever hang with this construction?

Here are the four corners of the flag, where as you can see it's just stitched on both ends. There are no eyelets, no sleeves, no hanging ties coming off of it. There doesn't appear to be any residual fold or stitch marks in the fabric to indicate it once had a sleeve that came undone. I don't see how this would be hung. First pic is the four corners of the flag, the next is more of the stitching along the top and bottom. Sorry for the crummy iphone pic's, it's all I have on me and taking pictures in here isn't easy at the moment.

Without any visible way to hang it, it makes me wonder if its missing something or if it's something someone modified (like cutting off much of a long banner to make it shorter and easier to store and display).

Did they make any original flags/banners without any hanging fixtures?

It's double sided, multi-piece construction.

Last edited by avenger; 06-20-2014 at 08:35 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How would you hang this flag with this construction?
    P
    Many

Jimm suggested it may have at one time had pole loops that were removed. In the four corners, there appears to be potential stitch holes, which I've shown below. This would mean there would have possibly been loops in all four corners though...

I simply don't know enough about these.

Thanks for any advice you all can provide. I may be looking at sending this one back, as I would presume modifications like loop removal would hurt the value, though I don't know how much.

with the limited pictures, it is difficult to make any form of judgement on the question on how this flag was mounted or hung. I would only expect to find rings on a 4 x 4 unit flag. It possibly had clips which were removed for whatever reason. However, this is just a guess.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thanks Bob! I'm home and was able to take some better photos. I hope this helps more....

I think it is a nice collectable flag. The question is are you unhappy with the mounting devices removed?
    BOB

A bit. But I can get over that. My bigger concern is not having the knowledge to properly judge how this affects the value, to negotiate the difference. It was sold to me as one complete with a sleeve, and I paid the value of one that wasn't tampered with. So, it comes down to properly valuing it, and seeing if the seller is willing to work with me.

In my opinion, the removal of any mounting devices definitely drops the value considerably. This flag should never have been sold without including this information in the listing description. It was said to be a rolled edge flag for a pole mount, and it is not. How would this flag be displayed-other than to fold it up and set in on a shelf?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

So in the world of flags, does damage and modification tend to merit immediate pass, or do they still retain some collectable value? I get the impression there are so many flags a person should only accept perfection...

Is the market that heavy with perfect offerings? Is this flag as is worth very little as a result? I'm in a bit of a bind to make a decision with Lakeside Trader on it and I'm not sure how to value the flag now... Naturally I want to feel like I have a fair deal if I decide to keep it.

Avenger-
    As standard political flags are very common, I would suggest you wait and find a perfect example that will not allow you any future regrets. In collecting, patience is a virtue.
    BOB

As Bob said, these Nazi era German flags are very common, so there is no reason to accept anything but a perfect condition piece. It's only when you get into the more or less different flags that you'll begin to see a raise in values and prices. Kriegs Flags and State Service Flags are usually the next level "up" and from there on in, the sky is the limit. When you start getting into the "Deutschland Erwachts", the labelled Unit flags, the High Generals and Official's Standards...then you begin to talk serious money.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast