Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Kriegsmarine Doppelstander

Article about: I purchased this along with the SS NCO Schirmmütze posted in the cap authentication forum. So far I haven't found out too much info on it. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that they were

Default Kriegsmarine Doppelstander

I purchased this along with the SS NCO Schirmmütze posted in the cap authentication forum. So far I haven't found out too much info on it. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that they were awarded to costal defence units that sunk a ship destroyer class or higher. Haven't found any pics of the swallowtailed variants to compare it to. The flag is on pretty decent shape, has about a dozen small moth nips through the white section. What do you guys think? Is it as rare as it appears to be?

Mike

Kriegsmarine DoppelstanderKriegsmarine Doppelstander

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine Doppelstander
    P
    Many

Default Re: Kriegsmarine Doppelstander

I originally thought this was a pennant of the Deutscher Marinebund, but I stand corrected...
    cheers, Glenn
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 11-08-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Hmm the plot thickens..

I came across these web pages:

http://areciboweb.50megs.com/fotw/flags/de~933dt.html

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_d..._(1935–1945)

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wimpel_..._Küstenschutz

Here's the lower link translated:

Pennants for destruction of ships by the coast guard

Figure pennant

Picture of Double Standers
    The pennant for destruction of ships by the coast guard was a collective award of the German Navy during the Second World War, the Foundation on 24 September 1943 by the Naval Staff of the High Command of the Navy in two ways was (and double pennant pennant). The ceremony was also possible to airmen when they were in the sinking of a vessel subject to the navy tactically.
    Award provisions and authority ceremony [Edit]

The award was a pennant for the sinking or destruction of a merchant ship or warship to the size of a destroyer. For the destruction of a battleship the size of a cruiser up, the double pennant was awarded.
    The awarding authority or the presentation of the pennant or the double pennant was awarded with certificates by the
    respective commander of the coast guard group
    respective commander of a naval high command or
    by the admiral of the German navy commandos Italy
    immediately after recognition of the destruction of the ship. Pennants and Double Stander were not the property of the respective unit, but remained as a property empire. Was the excellent unit disbanded after the award of a pennant or a double pennant, their commander decided about his whereabouts, which installation of the unit, however, he remained in the unit. Was put to the pennant or the double pennant in battle position of the unit or at the accommodation on a flagpole at the imperial war flag or pennant on a special mast.
    Description of the pennant and the double pennant [Edit]

Simply held the red flag is 300 mm long and 180 mm high. It shows a round white box with a picture of a yellow embroidered anchor unclear, before a black iron cross is seen. Double Stander is of the same nature, however, has, as in a double Stander usual a dovetailed recess. Incidentally, the name of the unit was excellent einzusticken with red thread in the Flaggenliek.

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    I originally thought this was a pennant of the Deutscher Marinebund, but I stand corrected...
    cheers, Glenn
    No worries Glenn, thanks for the input. If I hadn't done some serious googleing I'd have thought the same

Now to find out what the damn thing's worth

Mike