Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My First NSDAP Banner Flag; From Italy stamped Napoli (Naples)

Article about: Hey guys, I know I posted a thread on this before I purchased it, but now I have it in my possession and was able to take my own photos of it. I have wanted an NSDAP flag for a long time now

Default My First NSDAP Banner Flag; From Italy stamped Napoli (Naples)

Hey guys, I know I posted a thread on this before I purchased it, but now I have it in my possession and was able to take my own photos of it. I have wanted an NSDAP flag for a long time now, but they do tend to be very expensive and it can be very difficult for a beginner to identify a fake. I did a great amount of research on this particular type of flag before I purchased it. I looked at several different sources, compared the stamps, the seams, the pattern of fabric, and the ties. Everything seems 100% original period to me, BUT I am still a new collector, so I wanted to share some pics with you guys and hear what you have to say (again). Overall I think I got a good deal, pricewise, since I see NSDAP banners being sold from $150 for a small one to $300 for a large one and up to $800 sometimes too. This is my first "Big" purchase.

From what I know, this is an Italian made flag from Naples. I'm not sure if it was actually made in Italy, or if it was made in Germany and shipped to Italy. It is stamped NAPOLI, the stamp is much darker in person. Pretty sure it was actually made there, as the construction is different from the German made flags. There was a hole cut out of the red fabric, then the white/black swastika piece was sewn in. My question is: did the Italians always display NSDAP flags or was it only in 1938 when Adolf Hitler toured Naples? I tried researching this, but came up kind of dry. I'm also trying to figure out what material it is made out of. It's pretty soft, feels like wool.

The flag is good and sturdy. Smells kind of "old", like an antique shop. Two of the ties were torn off, and there is a quarter sized hole in it. Also some various stains, looks like light grease or oil stains. It really looks like a flag that has seen a war, since I know the allies really gave Naples hell.

I wish I could learn more history about this specific piece, I'm fascinated by the fact that it was there when Adolf Hitler toured Naples, could very well have been hanging off of the balcony of a building that Hitler himself looked at. It saw the 1943 Allied bombings, when the city was heavily shelled, when the German troops evacuated the city and the Allies marched in. Adolf Hitler gave the order to turn the city to ruins (scorched earth) as the Germans retreated, but this was prevented by a revolt of Italian rebels. I imagine this flag was taken by an Allied veteran, stuffed into his knapsack, and taken back to USA with perhaps some other war souvenirs. That is all mostly speculation of course, but one fact holds certain: this flag was certainly there.

The very last photo was taken in Naples in 1938 when Adolf Hitler was touring with Mussolini. I believe this banner I have here is the same as the ones you see hanging off of the balconies.

Thank you everyone for all the help you've given me. I love WW2 history and am very glad there is a reliable community here to help people own true original pieces of history, not reproduction fakes.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My First NSDAP Banner Flag; From Italy stamped Napoli (Naples)
    P
    Many

?

We have a lot of good people here.

Well I feel stupid, I just noticed there is a Flags, Banners, and Pendants section. Can a mod please move this thread there?

Congrats, it is a honest been there piece. Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Moved for you. Very nice banner......... !
    Regards,

Steve.