Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Pennant and Sash or banner

Article about: Hello all, I had seen the thread on frauenschaft flags so figured I'd show a frauenschaft pennant (1 sided) I picked up lately and also show a banner(?) or as some have said to me perhaps a

?

Default Pennant and Sash or banner

Hello all,
    I had seen the thread on frauenschaft flags so figured I'd show a frauenschaft pennant (1 sided) I picked up lately and also show a banner(?) or as some have said to me perhaps a sash that might have been worn during a ceremony or something. In any case any comments are appreciated and if anyone has any info on the person named in the banner that too would be much welcome. The sash is about 9 ft long. As of yet I can find no information online about this eugen billig. From the translations I have gotten the wording roughly means : To our esteeemed Papa Hilden and the other wording if I remember correctly means roughly translated to "dedicated to eugen billig upon his taking of office at city hall 4 4 1933. A member on another forum sent me this email and what they thought the wording referred to. Sorry if they are a member here & I have not mentioned their name). The information below:

“My Revered or even My Venerated” which I believe, if referring to a person, would only be used in the extremely familiar sense and would probably not be used for a public figure. Another thought to consider is that Germans often personalize the inanimate in the “Paternal” form, rather than the “Maternal” that we are familiar with. The most obvious example being “The Father Land.” When you consider that “Papa-Hilden” was placed in quotations and hyphenated I would tend to believe that it referred to the town itself ( My Revered “Father Town”) rather than an individual. In keeping with this thinking, notice the additional “outline” embellishments to certain words. Now follow the progression like this - Office, Building, Town.

Pennant and Sash or bannerPennant and Sash or bannerPennant and Sash or bannerPennant and Sash or bannerPennant and Sash or banner

Again any help, info or thoughts are appreciated.
    thanks again,
    Duzig(Bill)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Pennant and Sash or banner
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Pennant and Sash or banner

Just bringing this up again hoping someone has some info or comments. particularly regarding the billig banner
    thanks again
    Duzig(Bill)

it is a sash/ banner Dedicated to Eugen Billig upon his taking office at City Hall 4/4/1933, he was born in Vienna. it is just a sash for him taking office, it was draped over him during taking office procession.

?

Hello,
    KMMorris, thanks for your reply. Any idea what office this eugen billig would have been in? I would think a sash like this would not be used for just a clerk or the like? Any idea what direction I would look in to find out about this person. I had contemplated sending a letter or email to local Hilden gov't but have heard this is usually frowned upon and that people are not that happy to talk about events in the 3rd reich era. Would anyone on this forum have any leads as to who this person might be?
    Thanks again for your reply..
    Duzig(Bill)

Hello Bill, No proof, of course, but I suspect that this piece was used to swear in Eugen Billig as Mayor of Hilden Germany on April 4, 1933. I've seen similar types like this for other elected high city officials. It is, of course, highly unlikely that someone like a Police Chief or Superintendent of Public Works would be given a ceremony when they took office. A Mayor, on the other hand, would have been Elected by the public and would have been ushered into office in considerable pomp and circumstance. Absolutely, I would email the local government in Hilden to verify this. Eugen Billig is not on the Nuremberg war crimes list, after all. Not everyone who held any sort of public office in 1933 was a frothing at the mouth rabid Nazi. What is the worst that they can do if you ask them? Not answer? You've been hunting info on this sash for nearly 10 years now, it's about time that you get some news on it, hey!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Hello,
    Wagriff, thanks for your comments and info. Yes indeed every now and then I pull out this banner & put it in some forum hoping someone will have some info on it. I also wouldn't think it would be for a police chief or somebody pretty low ranking. Again I thank you for your comments and I may very well do as you say. Stupid question perhaps but I would imagine I would get a better response if I had my query translated into German before I sent it, rather than send in English and probably have it discarded.
    Bill

Hi Bill, why not write in more general terms to the city (in German even if only at an online translator level) and ask if they have a list of Bürgermeisters going back to 1900. Don't go straight in for 1933.

Stadt Hilden

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Bill, why not write in more general terms to the city (in German even if only at an online translator level) and ask if they have a list of Bürgermeisters going back to 1900. Don't go straight in for 1933.

Stadt Hilden

Cheers, Ade.
    Nice sidestep of continental sensibilities Ade

?

Hello,
    Adrian & KradSpam,
    Adrian, that makes a lot of sense to me being that the subject of ww2 is very sensitive to many. That is a great idea matter of factly. Didn't even think of that.
    thanks again,
    Bill