Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Reichskriegsflagge "LOH KR-FL 100 x 170" question (unusual or not?)

Article about: Hi everyone, I have a Reichskriegsflagge that came with no history, and it is a bit different than most. It has what appears to be additional ("non-standard"?) stitching along the

Default Reichskriegsflagge "LOH KR-FL 100 x 170" question (unusual or not?)

Hi everyone,

I have a Reichskriegsflagge that came with no history, and it is a bit different than most. It has what appears to be additional ("non-standard"?) stitching along the hoist, which is something I have only seen once in person some time ago (that flag belonged to an ETO vet, but I can't be certain he brought it back personally), and on a few internet listings. These were all "LOH"-marked flags, but I can't attest to them being 100 x 170 size.

Under the unusual (I'll call it "zig-zag," although that probably isn't technically correct) stitching, there are is a normal row of standard stitching (there is a row of normal stitching above it as well). Try as I might, even with the aid of a 24x linen tester's loupe, I can detect no damage to the flag that would require a repair, so my guess is that the stitching is reinforcement rather than repair. Close examination indicates that the unusual stitching goes over the inked markings on the hoist. The flag passes a glow test to the same degree as an aerial recognition flag and a small banner that my favorite uncle brought back in 1946, and I know that those two are good.

There are small rectangles of cloth reinforcement at the front of this flag at both top and bottom; the top and bottom edges have six closely-spaced lines of stitching, while the fly end has six more widely-spaced lines of stitching. I have attached some photos to show some of the construction details, but only one overall picture for the time being. The workmanship on this flag (printing, stitching, etc) is not particularly great IMO - it looks "late war," so to speak - but I'm not a flag guy and if this one is good, then I'm covered as far as flags go.

It is pretty much like most of the others of it's type except for the added stitching. I believe it to be good, but "different." Anyone else have one of these construction variants or any information on them? I'd sure appreciate it.

Best regards,

G. Kelly

Reichskriegsflagge "LOH KR-FL 100 x 170" question (unusual or not?)Reichskriegsflagge "LOH KR-FL 100 x 170" question (unusual or not?)Reichskriegsflagge "LOH KR-FL 100 x 170" question (unusual or not?)Reichskriegsflagge "LOH KR-FL 100 x 170" question (unusual or not?)Reichskriegsflagge "LOH KR-FL 100 x 170" question (unusual or not?)Reichskriegsflagge "LOH KR-FL 100 x 170" question (unusual or not?)Reichskriegsflagge "LOH KR-FL 100 x 170" question (unusual or not?)Reichskriegsflagge "LOH KR-FL 100 x 170" question (unusual or not?)Reichskriegsflagge "LOH KR-FL 100 x 170" question (unusual or not?)Reichskriegsflagge "LOH KR-FL 100 x 170" question (unusual or not?)Reichskriegsflagge "LOH KR-FL 100 x 170" question (unusual or not?)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Reichskriegsflagge "LOH KR-FL 100 x 170" question (unusual or not?)
    P
    Many

The flag is fine-no problems. Very nice to see in this size and condition. The stitching is simply a manufacturer's method. Likely done as extra reinforcement against wind stresses. Nothing to worry about.
    Last edited by Wagriff; 04-10-2015 at 09:09 AM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Very tidy example .

Nice original flag

Is this flag made out of cotton or wool?

William Kramer

great RK flag.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the responses. The condition of this flag was so close to that of my remaining "family" items that I was compelled to get it, even though it was a bit smaller than what I was originally looking for.

all1knew, I'm not really sure if the flag itself is cotton or wool, and I don't see anything on the main component of the flag that I can really pull/snip to do a burn test on, although I did test a very short bit of some extra stitching thread near the hoist and it was likely cotton (no surprise there). I confess to being a poor judge of fabric types and also pretty clueless about how to test for them other than the "burn test."

(It doesn't seem to have been "mothed" anywhere, FWIW.)

Best regards,

G. Kelly
    Last edited by 3986QMTC; 04-11-2015 at 01:26 PM.