Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

SA Sturmfahne Concentration Camp and Holocaust related

Article about: A rare, early, thin armed swastika flag from SA Sturm 22 of Standarte 63 from Frankfurt am Main, SA Group Hessia. Along with SA Standarte 81, St 63 was responsible for south Hessia's first c

pjm
    ?

Default SA Sturmfahne Concentration Camp and Holocaust related

A rare, early, thin armed swastika flag from SA Sturm 22 of Standarte 63 from Frankfurt am Main, SA Group Hessia.

Along with SA Standarte 81, St 63 was responsible for south Hessia's first concentration camp that opened in May 1933 in an old factory, the so-called "Perlenfabrik" in FFM-Ginnheim. The camp became known for the torture and cruelty of the SA men who mistreated the prisoners, mostly communists and union members, who were initially incarcerated there. Eventually, the camp got so crowded that it was necessary to open others in the Frankfurt area to accomodate the overflow.

Der Ort des Terrors: Geschichte der ... - Google Books

Later, in October 1941, SA Standarte 63 was given the task of rounding up Jewish residents of Frankfurt's Westend district for deportation. The special action turned into confusion when the Gestapo didn't show up in time to seal the apartments of the evicted Jews and move the people to collection points. Subsequently, the hundreds of Jews were marched through the city.

Here's an official SA report on that action:

Frankfurt 1933-1945

SA Sturmfahne Concentration Camp and Holocaust relatedSA Sturmfahne Concentration Camp and Holocaust relatedSA Sturmfahne Concentration Camp and Holocaust relatedSA Sturmfahne Concentration Camp and Holocaust relatedSA Sturmfahne Concentration Camp and Holocaust relatedSA Sturmfahne Concentration Camp and Holocaust relatedSA Sturmfahne Concentration Camp and Holocaust related

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Sturmfahne Concentration Camp and Holocaust related
    P
    Many

Default Re: SA Sturmfahne Concentration Camp and Holocaust related

Paul-
    Having the history behind a historical object is what makes collecting fascinating for me. A very interesting early sturmfahne.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

pjm
    ?

Thanks, Bob.

I picked this flag up initially because of the Frankfurt connection. I lived there almost 20years. When I started researching it, I was familiar with all of the sites mentioned. In fact, one of the concentration camp facilities was literally down the street from when I lived.

The connection of this particular SA Standarte to documented historic events is indeed what makes this hobby so fascinating.

A fine piece of cloth with a disturbing story behind it. Thanks for sharing both!

Cheers, MB.

?

Very nice piece.

A fine item and nicely researched.

Cheers, Ade.

a very nice item and briliiant reaseaching skills well done

tom

pjm
    ?

Here's an abbreviated English account of SA Standarte 63's role in the Oct 41 action: The destruction of the European Jews - Google Books

Research is really relatively easy these days with google. It's a matter of finessing the system as well. My initial searches for Standarte 63 picked up key words, like "Perlenfabrik" that led to me other sites.

However, I haven't been able to find anything on SA Standartenfuehrer Hirt who is named in the German resource regarding SA St 63's 1933 concentration camp association.
    Last edited by pjm; 09-07-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Quote by pjm View Post
    However, I haven't been able to find anything on SA Standartenfuehrer Hirt who is named in the German resource regarding SA St 63's 1933 concentration camp association.
    Paul, during your research on Hirt did you come across this photo?

Historical Photographs : Extended Search : LAGIS Hessen.

The guy in the center might be your man. Good luck with any further research!

Cheers, MB.

pjm
    ?

Hi Baecker! I didn't find this photo. Thanks for posting. It is likely the same Hirt.