Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Seen Better Days - NSDAP Banner Double-Sided 120cm x 200cm

Article about: Good Afternoon Men, Dragged out this old banner for inspection. Bought this from an old guy many decades ago. He was a collector and tried to sell me a flag as big as your garage. At that ti

Default Seen Better Days - NSDAP Banner Double-Sided 120cm x 200cm

Good Afternoon Men,

Dragged out this old banner for inspection. Bought this from an old guy many decades ago. He was a collector and tried to sell me a flag as big as your garage. At that time I was not interested in big flags and walked away without buying. Wish I had purchased. Thinking back, the price was very affordable. Can't remember what I paid for this one...it wasn't much.

Looking at this sub-forum, I see a few that are in much better condition. This has several holes, few small tears and is faded. The close-ups make it look really faded/washed out. It's not that faded/washed out.

Was this hung with a wooden dowel? What are the dimensions of the wooden dowel? Any pics available of the wooden dowel and how it was hung?

Wondering if this is worth keeping.

Appreciate your time and thank you for viewing this banner.

Best,
    Von Ritt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Seen Better Days - NSDAP Banner Double-Sided 120cm x 200cm   Seen Better Days - NSDAP Banner Double-Sided 120cm x 200cm  

Seen Better Days - NSDAP Banner Double-Sided 120cm x 200cm   Seen Better Days - NSDAP Banner Double-Sided 120cm x 200cm  

Seen Better Days - NSDAP Banner Double-Sided 120cm x 200cm   Seen Better Days - NSDAP Banner Double-Sided 120cm x 200cm  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Seen Better Days - NSDAP Banner Double-Sided 120cm x 200cm
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Everything is worth keeping to those of us with the disease
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The thing was used and has patina. Why is this fact a problem?

The III. Reich lasted for twelve years and households had the duty to show the flag on a regular basis.

The patina is nice.

There is too much hair-splitting on these sites because of the mint dogma.Seen Better Days - NSDAP Banner Double-Sided 120cm x 200cm

The other piece being that these cotton textiles were often not especially color fast, i.e. the dyes and such.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post

The III. Reich lasted for twelve years and households had the duty to show the flag on a regular basis.

The patina is nice.

There is too much hair-splitting on these sites because of the mint dogma.
    Wear = History
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Wear = History
    My point. Also, there is too much hypercritical fault finding with things that can safely show their age.

This is a nice piece.

The smell of the dye from this cotton textile will stay with me to my death.

Especially the mint ones, little used, ca. the year 1961 had a very pungent smell, unlike anything I had ever encountered.

Maybe it was also moth balls, but you know what Proust says about memory and the sense of smell.

The fragance of a Leibkoppel, also, the tanning of the leather, I can recall it too.

Unlike anything I had ever seen. It all came from a pile of relics collected by the father of a friend.Seen Better Days - NSDAP Banner Double-Sided 120cm x 200cm

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post

The patina is nice.

There is too much hair-splitting on these sites because of the mint dogma.
    Friedrich-Berthold-
    My love for all TR items is real. Seeing, touching and smelling items are a big part of my collecting. Learning more about each of my items is why I joined this site. Knowing an item was used, displayed is far more important to me than finding something in a box that was never issued. Sure, I'd love to get my hands on any real TR item that was mint. I was only trying to gauge the level of collectibility.

You may have whatever your heart desires and the rest of us will respect and accept your choice. There is far too much imposition of taste and preference by
    a clique in this racket. I.e. that an item has to be unused or show no age whatsoever. Your flag has character and don't be diverted by some freak
    with a pathological Peter Pan complex. You can do whatever you want, and the rest can go pound sand with their check lists, and stitch faerie malarkey.
    You have a nice, pleasing piece. An SA Feldzeichen it is not, but it was a real part of the III. Reich.
    On the other site years ago there was this clique-ish group think where a couple of persons did all in their puny
    reach to impose "consensus" on an item. I.e. all posts had to arrive at a single conclusion in whatever aspect,
    and it was bogus on the face of it. Why? People can make their own choices, have their own opinions,
    and so on. I mean there is an issue with authenticity, but this exaltation of the lowest common denominator
    is absurd. Happy flags and happy faded cotton.

Seen Better Days - NSDAP Banner Double-Sided 120cm x 200cm

and all these textiles fade with age. I have my wool and cotton swatch book from 1935, and the virginal state of these textiles and how they look
    eight or so decades later is somewhat different. That's just a fact of chemistry and physics, I imagine, or bio chemistry or you tell me.

We had a go round about the color of the original brown shirt, which, of course, never led to any definitive answer.

In fact, all these colors are very fungible in fact. Wim's book has a very nice essay on the variety of dyes and colors of the SA Gruppen colors,
    and the lore of the regiments in the Prussian and Habsburg record goes on and on about how difficult it was to recognize the shades of green, or blue,
    or red used in regimental insignia and so on.

It is all part of the joy for the mind and character to wrestle with the evidence of the past.

For many all the detail and the oddities are too much. That's my point, the oddities are the center of gravity and the signs of the past are
    a source of reflection and thought about what these things mean to us now. The arbitrary measure of their monetary value is an irritating
    and nerve wracking pestilence of the coup counting in our foolish world, mostly worked by these hyperventilating dealers who freak out
    collectors in order to pillage their items as part of their rapacious business model.Seen Better Days - NSDAP Banner Double-Sided 120cm x 200cmSeen Better Days - NSDAP Banner Double-Sided 120cm x 200cmSeen Better Days - NSDAP Banner Double-Sided 120cm x 200cmSeen Better Days - NSDAP Banner Double-Sided 120cm x 200cmSeen Better Days - NSDAP Banner Double-Sided 120cm x 200cm

Quote by MAP View Post
    Everything is worth keeping to those of us with the disease
    There was also that grey SS cap with the brown interior I bought in 1969 for all of USD 80, which was a fortune,
    and I traded it in 1972.......
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 02-17-2018 at 11:24 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast