Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Today's Flea Market Find: Flag or Handkerchief?

Article about: Greetings everyone, I picked up this one today at a local flea market. It is made of silk and appears to be an Italo-German friendship piece. My first thought was that it is a small flag of

RZM
    ?

Default Today's Flea Market Find: Flag or Handkerchief?

Greetings everyone,

I picked up this one today at a local flea market. It is made of silk and appears to be an Italo-German friendship piece. My first thought was that it is a small flag of some kind, but then I started thinking it might be a handkerchief. It has me slightly confused! lol. It is fairly small, measuring only about 10 inches across. Any ideas? What are your thoughts on it's value? I have tried searching with little avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Today's Flea Market Find: Flag or Handkerchief?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Today's Flea Market Find: Flag or Handkerchief?
    P
    Many

These little flags showing the alliance between Italy and German were quite popular in the the earlier days of the era and show up once in awhile. Yours looks to be in excellent condition with Great bright colors and has been very well taken care of and stored. Nice pick up! Not worth a fortune, so don't run down to the Cadillac dealer just yet, but certainly in the $75-100 range in this fine shape.
    (and, no-they weren't meant to be hankies! Not really nice to blow your nose on your countries flag and all! lol)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

"and, no-they weren't meant to be hankies! Not really nice to blow your nose on your countries flag and all! lol"-Wagriff My same thought.

handkerchief? Really?

RZM
    ?

A handkerchief wasn't really a farfetched idea. That's all that came up when I tried to search for them! There's also no spot where it was attached to something to be used as a flag. I'll be the first to admit that I have never seen one of these before and had absolutely no idea what it was other than what I read here:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/art-d...erchief-12922/

and here:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/art-d...-kerchief-907/

I thought it unusual as well to blow your nose on your flag, but notice that no one went on to correct the people in the above posts, so that could very well have lead me to believe that it was a hanky.

Thanks for the info.

I've seen these before too. Supposed to be momentos of the alliance between germany and italy.

?

I would think this is a wall hanger memento, or a window banner

RZM
    ?

That makes sense!