Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Value of this flag

Article about: Hello I would like to know what I should pay for this flag! It is 19 x 33.

?

Hello, so just out of curiousity, even if someone wanted to give a value for something that was asked about, that is not allowed? And I do agree with everyone else that a please and thank you should be common courtesy if you ask for help or opinions.
    Duzig(Bill)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Value of this flag
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Duzig View Post
    Hello, so just out of curiousity, even if someone wanted to give a value for something that was asked about, that is not allowed? And I do agree with everyone else that a please and thank you should be common courtesy if you ask for help or opinions.
    Duzig(Bill)
    Hello Bill, of course it's allowed but we don't make it a habit because then we become a free authentication and evaluation service for every non collector that just wants to sell something. It's implied that as a real collector you have an inkling or notion of what something is worth based on perusing websites and searching for items. What we object to is the "Is it fake or real" thread followed up by the inevitable "What's it worth" If you're a real collector you are doing some of your own homework before posting something for immediate results. It's all in the mindset of the person as a collector or an opportunist.

In the OP the question is asked "What should I pay for this ?" Well that is up to you how badly you want something. A simple check of websites can reveal a range of prices. I did a quick search and found a similar flag for a lot less, simple as that. As for finding websites that also requires some homework, it took me years to compile a list of about 30 dealers that I check multiple times everyday for new items. You need to put the time in for your hobby, like anything else in life that is rewarding.

I'm sorry to be pontificating but this post is not directed at you Bill, just using the opportunity to tell it like it is.

Regards, Al

Quote by Aldo View Post
    Hello Bill, of course it's allowed but we don't make it a habit because then we become a free authentication and evaluation service for every non collector that just wants to sell something. It's implied that as a real collector you have an inkling or notion of what something is worth based on perusing websites and searching for items. What we object to is the "Is it fake or real" thread followed up by the inevitable "What's it worth" If you're a real collector you are doing some of your own homework before posting something for immediate results. It's all in the mindset of the person as a collector or an opportunist.

In the OP the question is asked "What should I pay for this ?" Well that is up to you how badly you want something. A simple check of websites can reveal a range of prices. I did a quick search and found a similar flag for a lot less, simple as that. As for finding websites that also requires some homework, it took me years to compile a list of about 30 dealers that I check multiple times everyday for new items. You need to put the time in for your hobby, like anything else in life that is rewarding.

I'm sorry to be pontificating but this post is not directed at you Bill, just using the opportunity to tell it like it is.

Regards, Al
    I agree and there will always be exceptions. It can come down to what the question actually is that is asked. If you want to say to someone who mentions an asking price they are unsure of "I have seen them for much less" or "that is a reaaly good price" then that comes down to discussion of a subject. As Aldo says, we don't like the "what's it worth" or "how much can I get for it" questions which are not concerned with discussion and as others have said pricing is very subjective in most cases.
    In any case it is not within Forum policy to give valuations so generally speaking why would a member deliberately go against that?

Anyway we are only loosely within the topic here now so I hope your question is answered.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Hello
    I thank you Al & Mark for your answers. I think I actually jumped the gun with my comments somewhat. When I saw comments removed, I thought WTF. And then I realized most were off topic as mentioned. But I do wonder sometimes why some are so vehement against answering questions on price. Hence my question. As a collector I do check prices on items that I have or am interested in but sometimes they are so far apart in pricing that it leaves one wondering what would be a fair price for both the seller and buyer. That said, I do find it annoying when someone comes on a forum, as the starter of the thread here did, and wants information & just expects it to be given without a please or a thank you. I am glad that the valuation thing is not a hard and fast rule because at times there have been items I wonder about the value of also but refrain from asking because I know it is frowned upon. In any case I appreciate your comments.
    Bill

Hello Bill,
    The main reason I refuse to give values is new members that come here and that is all they want to know.
    The second reason that I do not give values is, if someone posts an item, and another member says "Oh, I would pay $???. for that item". The original poster then goes and pays that amount for it.
    Later, after finding out that it is actually worth less, comes back and posts that he is pissed that he overpaid for his item.
    Now what, this causes hard feelings. Easier to avoid it altogether.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Hello Ralph,
    I agree completely about new members coming on asking value etc and never seeing or hearing from them again. That annoys me because they aren't really collectors, they're just interested in selling stuff. Regarding asking values, if I ask for a value, I usually will say "I know people don't like to give values, but. ballpark figures etc I might ask about. But as I said above I don't usually even ask. As I mentioned above I am terrible with prices so that's why I usually don't give any valuations. I hear where you are coming from and see what you mean. I do thank you & the others for their comments.
    Bill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2