Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

W.Clauberg "vintage" deers foot dagger

Article about: Hi guys, I have seen this dagger for sale which is described as a vintage W.Clauberg deers foot dagger , I have tried researching these and there is very little information on origin or peri

Default W.Clauberg "vintage" deers foot dagger

Hi guys,
    I have seen this dagger for sale which is described as a "vintage W.Clauberg deers foot dagger", I have tried researching these and there is very little information on origin or period of these daggers.
    My question is are these pre 1945? And who were they used by? My suspicion is that due to the lack of information they are post war but I am interested to find out more about these attractive blades.

I have attached photos and I appreciate any comments.

Andre
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture W.Clauberg "vintage" deers foot dagger   W.Clauberg "vintage" deers foot dagger  

W.Clauberg "vintage" deers foot dagger   W.Clauberg "vintage" deers foot dagger  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement W.Clauberg "vintage" deers foot dagger
    P
    Many

I believe some of these date back quite a while. I have seen
    pictures from ww1 of these being worn. However my guess is
    the one posted above is post ww2. I say that because of the
    Solingren, Germany maker's mark.

check out post #193 in this thread ---
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/imper...ife-370751-20/
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Greetings Andre,

According to Anthony Carters’ German Knife and Sword Makers: The definitive directory of makers marks, from 1850 to 1945 page 130, this same marking “suggests a knife exported to the USA Prior to 1914.” His reasoning is that the knife’s logo uses the English abbreviation “EST.” for established versus the German “Gegt.” Additionally, the company was bought by Anton Wingen in 1920, which means it could just as well be made well after 1914 as Anton Wingen made a series of “retro” knives based upon older patterns (using all sorts of manufactures' markings, which they owned) up until the late 1980s.

Personally, I agree with Greg’s observation that it was an export piece, but whether prior to WWI, WWII, or post-WWII I could not be more definitive as these styled knives were made throughout all of the mentioned periods. The posted knife is in very nice shape and these knives are usually pretty worn on the deer’s foot if they are WWI or older (i.e. deer's legs are not titanium). But too, it could have just been very well taken care of.

Thoughts complete,

V/r Lance
    Last edited by MilitariaOne; 10-07-2017 at 10:25 PM.

Quote by militariaone View Post
    [SIZE=4]According to Anthony Carters’ German Knife and Sword Makers: The definitive directory of makers marks, from 1850 to 1945 page 130, this same marking “suggests a knife exported to the USA Prior to 1914.” His reasoning is that the knife’s logo uses the English abbreviation “EST.” for established versus the German “Gegt.”
    That is interesting. I had just assumed that the English version would just have been post ww2. I never
    considered the possibility of it also being pre 1914
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

W. Clauberg also exported military sabres / swords to the U.S. in the early 1800's.
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Thanks guys for the replies, I've decided to pass on this as due to the condition it's probably later than earlier although the information is useful if I come across one of these again.

Andre

Some makers still produce this style today. I can post a photo of one brought back, new, from Germany, for me by my mother in the 90's.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I would tend to the post war camp simply because of the "freshness" of the leather scabbard.

?

i have owned a Clauberg Bowie from the 1920ths period, but all the ones i have seen had a brown button.
    Clauberg knives are A.Wingen clones, as they shared the same building, and a s stated A.Wingen took over the company.
    This type bowie can be found with Clauberg & Wingen Logo's

Regards
    Ger
    W.Clauberg "vintage" deers foot dagger

?

I would think pre war . most items are marked east or west Germany after the war or occupied.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast