MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Archive footage of German prisoners?

Article about: Hi guys, I've been wondering. I've been watching a lot of D-Day documentaries recently, saved up on my Sky+ and it dawned on me that a lot of footage of German prisoners shows them without b

Default Archive footage of German prisoners?

Hi guys,

I've been wondering. I've been watching a lot of D-Day documentaries recently, saved up on my Sky+ and it dawned on me that a lot of footage of German prisoners shows them without belts or buckles??? Would this be because the belts would have cartridge pouches on them so were removed with any weapons????

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Archive footage of German prisoners?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Archive footage of German prisoners?

Belts were removed for many reasons, but yes-they usually came off when removing their side arms, etc. Much easier to simply drop a belt with a P38 on it rather than take time and unhook it and slide off the gun. Belts could also be used for weapons-especially with a heavy steel buckle on them. Suicides were another-although lesser-consideration factor.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Could be Lenny, on the other hand I have seen pics of POW's with belts on with bread bag attached and gas canisters, sone with A frames with bedding, zelts etc. They could disarm them but they had to leave their personal possessions and food clothing etc according to the Geneva convention (apparently!)
    Ben

Lenny I once worked with a vetern MP from 3rd armored division. He told me that belts were removed to keep prisoners from hanging them selves and the buckles could be used as a weapon especially if they sharpened the edges. I obtained a Luftwaffe EM tunic from him with lower pocket flaps cut off and he stated that was so they could look in them for contraband without unbuttoning them. timothy

?

Remember the movie Sargent York? When he captures a bunch of Germans he tells them to drop their equipment. They just drop everything were they stood and he marches them off walking over their equipment. I think if you surrendered in combat conditions it might have happened like that. At the end of the war with a mass surrender it might be a lot different and a little better organized.