Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Before & After Photos of Cleaned/Restored HJ Buckle

Article about: Hi, all. I finally had some free time and cleaned up this HJ buckle by Assmann. I know there's always a lot of contention about whether or not to clean/polish up your militaria but I decided

Default Before & After Photos of Cleaned/Restored HJ Buckle

Hi, all. I finally had some free time and cleaned up this HJ buckle by Assmann. I know there's always a lot of contention about whether or not to clean/polish up your militaria but I decided to experiment with this HJ (my favorite.) I tried out the method below first with a cheap tinnie, and then carefully undertook the buckle (steel/nickel...not painted, coated, frosted, etc.) following the same routine.

1st - Soaked the buckle in a solution of warm water and Renaissance Metal De-Corroder, periodically checking it and brushing lightly with a soft toothbrush.

2nd - Thoroughly rinsed buckle in cold water when done soaking.

3rd - Cleaned the buckle with a solution of warm water and Vulpex liquid soap and using the soft toothbrush.

4th - Thoroughly rinsed buckle in cold water.

5th - Dried lightly with a soft cotton cloth and then dried thoroughly using a blow dryer.

6th - Applied a very small, (too little?) amount of Renaissance wax to the entire buckle and then buffed.

...and here are the results. There are a lot of after pictures in different lighting to give the best idea of how it looks now(hopefully you can tell the difference!) Most important, I'm happy with how it looks and don't feel it was damaged

Best,
    Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Before & After Photos of Cleaned/Restored HJ Buckle   Before & After Photos of Cleaned/Restored HJ Buckle  

Before & After Photos of Cleaned/Restored HJ Buckle   Before & After Photos of Cleaned/Restored HJ Buckle  

Before & After Photos of Cleaned/Restored HJ Buckle   Before & After Photos of Cleaned/Restored HJ Buckle  

Before & After Photos of Cleaned/Restored HJ Buckle  
    Attached Images Attached Images Before & After Photos of Cleaned/Restored HJ Buckle  Before & After Photos of Cleaned/Restored HJ Buckle  Before & After Photos of Cleaned/Restored HJ Buckle 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Before & After Photos of Cleaned/Restored HJ Buckle
    P
    Many

Default Re: Before & After Photos of Cleaned/Restored HJ Buckle

Sorry...the photos are a little out of order. Perhaps this should have also been connected to an old thread on the restoration of buckles rather than a whole new thread? Anyways, there it is and I'd welcome any and all opinions and feedback.

Best,
    Adam

really nice, those are great products, I have used them on a couple of things now & if I ever run out. I will definately buy more. the buckle looks really good.

Adam

Thankyou for the "before and after" images and it may perhaps be better to retain this thread in isolation, rather than tagging it on to the "other one".

Without wishing to appear patronising, I think that you have approached this thorny issue (to some) absolutely correctly. Spot on with your meticulous modus operandi and what a remarkable and now fully justified transformation to a most rare Assmann HJ.

A good job Adam and I think that your very careful research and sympathetic approach to the issue has paid dividends.

Regards,

David

Quote by aechols83 View Post

6 Most important, I'm happy with how it looks and don't feel it was damaged

Best,
    Adam
    Adam, you said it yourself, for me as long and YOU are happy with the buckle thats all that matters BTW nice job on the buckle
    Ben

Thanks very much for the feedback and very nice words, guys