Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

"Blank" Brass Buckle

Article about: Folks, I'm the first to admit I don't know anything about this one. Got it in Germany at the Frankfurt A.M. flea market. I'd had a "thousand pounder" beer (or was it two?) and I co

Default "Blank" Brass Buckle

Folks,

I'm the first to admit I don't know anything about this one. Got it in Germany at the Frankfurt A.M. flea market. I'd had a "thousand pounder" beer (or was it two?) and I couldn't figure out what the lady I bought it from was saying (I'm afraid I only know enough German to order a beer and get my face slapped).

I've seen one picture of a WWII German soldier wearing a "blank" buckle like this.

No markings, no leather tab, nothing so I don't know if it is pre, during or post war. It could even be from another country than Germany, but I suspect it is German.

Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture "Blank" Brass Buckle   "Blank" Brass Buckle  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement "Blank" Brass Buckle
    P
    Many

Default Re: "Blank" Brass Buckle

Glenn, they made alot of these post war but I think from the construction of that buckle you have a WW made buckle, just MO
    Ben

?

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    Glenn, they made alot of these post war but I think from the construction of that buckle you have a WW made buckle, just MO
    Even perhaps a pre war made buckle, because of the claws. I think that these could be the so called "ugly claws", wich you can find for instance on SA or Reichsbanner buckles (Weimar era).

Glenn, may we have a detailed image of the claws?

Regards,
    Guido

Quote by Guido View Post
    Even perhaps a pre war made buckle, because of the claws. I think that these could be the so called "ugly claws", wich you can find for instance on SA or Reichsbanner buckles (Weimar era).

Glenn, may we have a detailed image of the claws?

Regards,
    Guido
    Guido, they are the ugly claws, and buckle is more that likely pre war. especially with that catch and them prongs
    Ben

I was also going to mention the ugly claws....it would be nice to get a closer look at those prongs! Interesting for sure!

Rob

Guys,

I'll take some detailed pictures tonight when I get h ome of the claws.

Glenn

Here are the promised pictures of the prongs.

Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture "Blank" Brass Buckle   "Blank" Brass Buckle  

"Blank" Brass Buckle   "Blank" Brass Buckle  

The certainly look like the ugly prongs to me!!! Let's compare off one of my silver SA/NSKK buckles and my Reichsbanner buckle.

Rob

"Blank" Brass Buckle   "Blank" Brass Buckle  

"Blank" Brass Buckle  

Rob,

That is a NICE Reichbanner buckle!

Are the claws considered "ugly" because of casting flaws? Bear with me, it takes me forever to see differences that others easily pick up on. I thought I would never be able to tell the differences between the various models of jeeps, M1 rifles, etc. Slowly but surely I'm catching on.

Glenn

Yes....these are called "ugly claws/prongs" by buckle collectors as they are well known to have this unique look to them. No one is quite sure who the maker was! It was probably a smaller operation that was eventually overtaken by the larger buckle makers.
    Cheers!

Rob