Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

cleaning belt and buckle

Article about: Hello ! I was wondering what would be the best product to use to clean the belt i just got myself today . And the buckle too . I search the forum and checked my book here and as far as i kno

Default cleaning belt and buckle

Hello !
    I was wondering what would be the best product to use to clean the belt i just got myself today . And the buckle too . I search the forum and checked my book here and as far as i know nothing is wrong with the buckle but again i am new to this so any input are welcome .
    As you can see on the pic someone must have clean the front of the buckle but in the back i can see some remain of a green paint ,would this buckle had the dark green paint or it's only dirt i see ?

Thanks

Frenchy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture cleaning belt and buckle   cleaning belt and buckle  

cleaning belt and buckle   cleaning belt and buckle  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement cleaning belt and buckle
    P
    Many

Default Re: cleaning belt and buckle

Frenchy, it is all personal taste, I would not clean them myself, if the belt was very dry I would use saddle soap to soften the leather, but that is me.
    Ben

?

I wouldnt touch the buckle at all, but if you need to clean the belt, wipe the heaviest deposits of dirt with a damp cloth, thouroughly dry , then either use saddle soap to soften the leather or use black boot polish, leave it on without polishing for a few hours,then wipe it off with a dry cotton cloth, you can then apply a very thin coating of petroleum jelly ie vaseline and again wipe off all excess

Hi Frenchy, if you do decide to clean it take it easy. I've seen cleaned items in the past that have lost their character due to over cleaning. To feed the leather I'd use a clear dubbin or 'lederfett'. The Germans used the same stuff but in black instead of clear (see pics). As for the buckle I wouldn't do much. Maybe just a soft toothbrush to remove any loose dirt; but nothing more than that really, Cheers, Richard.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture cleaning belt and buckle   cleaning belt and buckle  

cleaning belt and buckle  

I too would leave it "as is"...but that always comes down to personal choice.

Rob

I would agree with Rob.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks to all i am still thinking if i will clean it or not as for the buckle i wont touch it .
    Frenchy

Hi, I agree only the minimum cleaning on the buckle but leather is another thing. It dries out over time and remember these belts are at least 65 years old some older than this. Dubbin tends to be greasy as it water proofs leather, women use unperfumed skin cream on their faces and it hydrates well. I use my wife's face cream (expensive) it sinks into the leather and hydrates it well without removing the grime. Does it harm skin? Well leather is a skin isn't it?
    Cheers, Roland.

Roland i have a lot of tin of face cream here it's an idea i will give it a try
    Thanks

Frenchy