Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Do you wear a buckle?

Article about: I bought a heavily worn luftwaffe belt and buckle from a man here in Houston. He had just moved here from Germany and told me that he wore it in East Germany nearly his entire childhood and

I bought a heavily worn luftwaffe belt and buckle from a man here in Houston. He had just moved here from Germany and told me that he wore it in East Germany nearly his entire childhood and so on until moving to the states. I found that shocking due to the laws, and ask him if he every got caught wearing it. He responded, nope, I always wore shirts that covered it, and besides you'd be shocked how many people wouldn't even notice it. He hated East German with a passion, therefore, I assume it was his small way of rebelling against communism. That may not seem like much to us, but it defiantly meant a lot to him. It did make me a bit upset as he also stated it was mint when he first got it and it is now in extremely rough condition. Yet I understood, too, as he had to use whatever was available during those times and had no other means to secure his pants, sadly.
    Only thing I didn't understand was why he still wore it once the wall came down, moved to the west, and married a successful women. Guess he was just use to it.
    Last edited by youthcollector1; 09-13-2013 at 03:17 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Do you wear a buckle?
    P
    Many

German WW2 buckles are both sturdy and practical, usually wear either of the attached depending on which trousers Im wearing at the time. No offensive symbols etc of course but both original methinks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Do you wear a buckle?   Do you wear a buckle?  

Do you wear a buckle?   Do you wear a buckle?  

?

Quote by Hanselshrn View Post
    German WW2 buckles are both sturdy and practical, usually wear either of the attached depending on which trousers Im wearing at the time. No offensive symbols etc of course but both original methinks.
    I agree on they are very practical indeed. I like there is no leather "flap" hanging in the belt loops

Regards, Lars

When I still did collect I had some buckles I used to wear in private or when visiting a militaria-show:
    a great brass Imperial style one, which I got a few from the Overhoff-concern, when I had visited them
    in the 1970's;
    further I did wear a few post-war police or fire-defence buckles with the jumping or galopping horse.
    I never did wear a TR buckle with swastika in spite of having over 250 of them;
    when I attended post-war Stahlhelm-meetings or did visit the Stahlhelm-archives or members in Southern
    Germany I often did wear then an old original brass Stahlhelm-buckle from the Berg & Nolte-concern. None of
    these buckles are in my possession these days! I haven't worn any of them mentioned above since the earliest 1980's.

My favorite buckles were however some brass US-buckles with great eagles and stars or the one with "article II -
    The right to bear arms
    "! Once I did wear a buckle from the "Invisible Empire", but for that I was accosted.
    Now I never do wear any type of buckles anymore, as I do not have any belt that fits me properly and I am not
    willing to buy me new belts!! These US buckles I have on display these days!

Do you wear a buckle?

The two lower ones I used to wear when I was visiting country-music shows and when organizing, with a friend,
    country-music shows in Helmond, where I live. I was active as such about ten years! Did not wear them since about
    the early 1990's!
    Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 09-13-2013 at 02:13 PM.

?

I personally wouldnt wear a German WWI or WWII buckle with any kind of (political) statement on it (be it a genuine or repro buckle), but thats purely a personal preference.

How ever, this prompted me to go look for an old belt and buckle combo of mine.
    I hadnt even thought about it in years. Its has a large(ish) brass-looking buckle with a border and inside the border, the finish is 'pebbled.'
    I assume its an old military belt of some kind. I had for years and only used it sparingly. Wanted to find it and wear it for a while in order to report back, but so far no luck finding it.

I usually wear non-descript 5.11 TDU belt switching between a coyote or OD belt. They are most excellent light weight sturdy belts.
    5.11 Tactical TDU Belt 1.75" Plastic Buckle | Official 5.11 Site

Quote by zwerge View Post
    I used to wear a Heer buckle on my toolbelt back in the early `50`s,but I got so many adverse comments when working in Jewish owned businesses that my boss asked me to take it off,so I made this one for the belt....Pete.
    Excellent. I like that a lot.

?

Quote by Wilhelm Saris View Post
    When I still did collect I had some buckles I used to wear in private or when visiting a militaria-show:
    a great brass Imperial style one, which I got a few from the Overhoff-concern, when I had visited them
    in the 1970's;
    further I did wear a few post-war police or fire-defence buckles with the jumping or galopping horse.
    I never did wear a TR buckle with swastika in spite of having over 250 of them;
    when I attended post-war Stahlhelm-meetings or did visit the Stahlhelm-archives or members in Southern
    Germany I often did wear then an old original brass Stahlhelm-buckle from the Berg & Nolte-concern. None of
    these buckles are in my possession these days!

My favorite buckles were however some brass US-buckles with great eagles and stars or the one with "article II -
    The right to bear arms
    "! Once I did wear a buckle from the "Invisible Empire", but for that I was accosted.
    Now I never do wear any type of buckles anymore, as I do not have any belt that fits me properly and I am not
    willing to buy me new belts!! These US buckles I have on display these days!

Do you wear a buckle?

The two lower ones I used to wear when I was visiting country-music shows and when organizing, with a friend,
    country-music shows in Helmond, where I live. I was active as such about ten years!
    Not that I know a lot about the flag preference of those guys, but isnt it odd that the 'Invisible Empire' buckle has 'Old Glory' on it - I'd have thought, it would have the 'Confederate Battle Flag' on it as a matter of preference?

Not that they have any more 'right' than others to use that flag for their cause. Nor do I attribute that flag solely to them.

BTW Thumbs up for C&W - Dwight all the way!

The buckle from the "Invisible Empire" I purchased in about 1981 or so from the IE at Denham Springs LA.
    For a very short while I intended to collect KKK stuff, as a counterpart to my TR collection, but put aside the
    idea for many reasons. I had no political ideas with it, was just curious to know more about them!

I am out of C&W for many, many years, but in "my days" I was a fan of Buck Owens (who I met), Waylon
    Jennings, Hank Williams Jr. and many others, but above all from David Allan Coe. I did collect all of his records
    and other stuff and I even had made a special jacket, which he has signed for me during a trip to my country!
    The reverse is from golden colored leather (as was the hat band); the arm patch with DAC's face is fully hand-
    embroidered. All work was done by Dutch nuns!

Do you wear a buckle? Do you wear a buckle?

Most of DAC's records I have sold, especially the special ones. One, which was accompanied with the company
    recording scedules and a signed DAC-letter, I sold for about $ 800,- to a Dutch David Allan Coe-collector!

Sorry guys, we are wandering from one's subject: buckles (German WWI, WWII or post-war).

?

OT Huge fan of Buck Owens (Waylon, Hank jr, Hank III as well for that matter)!! As you might know, Dwight Yoakam is inspired by Buck and they have played concerts together.

Rock on!
    ...or rather 'Country on!'

A while back, I met a guy who was wearing an SS belt buckle at home depot. It was supposedly his father's bringback. It was a JFS I think?

I ordered up a repro belt and Prussian buckle to wear, it's way too new and shiny. I'll tone it down a bit and then post a pic. It's actually quite a good thing to look at the repros to see how they are made and I'll be interested to see how I can age it. Not for deceit, just as a lesson for the future... Saying that, no-one who knew about buckles would be fooled by this repro...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast