MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help - Unknown Buckle & Belt

Article about: by Ben Evans The slot and the pin lock off the buckle to the belt Yes. A sort of "roll-slide" lock for the belt strap.

?

Default Help - Unknown Buckle & Belt

Hello,
    Came across this unknown, to me, buckle & belt . Unfortunately I have only this one picture. Do members know what it could be ? Any information appreciated.
    Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help - Unknown Buckle & Belt  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help - Unknown Buckle & Belt
    P
    Many

Default Re: Help - Unknown Buckle & Belt

The only bit of info that I can offer is the observation that the "crown + mirrored G" monogram is the same as the shoulder board cypher for the Saxon Infanterie-Regiment König Georg Nr. 106. Please compare:

https://www.weitze.net/detail/65/Sac...06__19365.html
    https://www.weitze.net/detail/62/Sac...06__30862.html

Looks like it might be a 35mm size buckle and belt given the top of the buckle (roller)? Looks like it's in great condition.

Rob

?

HPL2008 - Thanks for the link, it does seem to fit together with the buckle - Saxon Infanterie Regt. König Georg Nr.106, do you think the buckle would be used by other König Georg Regiments or only Regiment number 106 ?

HPL & Rob - What price range the buckle & belt be in ? - perhaps 200 euros ?
    Regards

Quote by AlecH View Post
    HPL2008 - Thanks for the link, it does seem to fit together with the buckle - Saxon Infanterie Regt. König Georg Nr.106, do you think the buckle would be used by other König Georg Regiments or only Regiment number 106 ?

HPL & Rob - What price range the buckle & belt be in ? - perhaps 200 euros ?
    Regards
    Sorry; I'm afraid I am not the right person to ask as Imperial-era material is not my area of expertise.

I only managed to identify the monogram from my copy of a reprint of a 1901 book on the German Army which includes color plates of the various regimental shoulder straps, then - via the wonders of Google - found the above examples on Weitze's site. (The insignia plate shows this cypher only for the 106th Infantry Regiment, but as for other possible uses of this royal monogram... Sorry, like I said, I just don't know.)

You can find the plates from this book online as well under:

Category:Das kleine Buch vom Deutschen Heere - Wikimedia Commons
    The plate in question is this one: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../Tafel_XII.jpg

(By the way, the whole book can be downloaded as a free E-Book under Hein-Oberleutnant-Das-kleine-Buch-vom-Deutschen-Heere : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive . I can recommend it to all German-speaking readers.)

Still, I have looked around a bit more and found another example of this buckle on das-koppelschloss.de. (See: das-koppelschloss.de - sachsen , scroll down a bit) although they attribute it to the Saxon Schützen-(Füsilier) Rgt. Prinz Georg Nr. 108 (and note that this buckle is heavily faked).
    The shoulder strap cypher for that regiment was a hunting horn over a number 108, though.

Maybe one of our members here is more knowledgable in this matter.

Alec, if the buckle was original (I am not saying it is not) and with the belt I would pay 180-200 Euros, shame there is not pics of the rear, if you are buying it, get pics of the rear first
    Ben

?

Hello HPL2008,
    Again thanks for the excellent links, great stuff to read. The one uncertainty is the mis-attribution, if it is a mis-attribution of the buckle on das-Koppelschloss.de forum. I did show the picture on another forum, one of the members came back with - " Prussian buckle, used between 1882-1918 by border- and tax supervisors. It is made from messing with a nickled inset and exists in the size 50,0 x 65,0 mm and 47,0 x 63,0 mm after 1895. The actual name: Preussisches Koppelschloss für Grenz- und Steueraufseher." it seem emphatic,
    Unfortunately after spending a couple hours trawling through the internet looking for another buckle, I've had no success. Perhaps if any forum members of the buckle collecting fraternity have a picture, they could post it, otherwise I'll get in touch later this week with a friend who has a buckle catalogue, meanwhile I'll keep looking, thanks for the help.
    Best Wishes

Bandau

?

Hello David,
    Thanks for the post. Your picture post from Jürgen Bandau's book, without question finds the true attribution for the buckle. One further question, what's the purpose of the elongated slot in which the holding pin sits ?
    Regards

The slot and the pin lock off the buckle to the belt
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast