Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Koppelschloss Collection Display/Storage: Examples, Ideas & Opinions

Article about: Hi , I got mine at company auctions . They were closing or down sizing and sold off there surplus . They are all different sizes and could have any number of drawers , I have some that have

Question Koppelschloss Collection Display/Storage: Examples, Ideas & Opinions

Hi, all. As my koppelschloss collection has been growing steadily I have been thinking more about how to best display and store my pieces. As such, I'm really interested in hearing about any methods or getting suggestions on types/brands, etc. of display/storage cases or solutions.

I know that some collections are so vast that a cataloging system of some sort is probably necessary, however as my collection is smaller (for now!) I would personally like to display all my buckles while storing them at the same time. Currently I have them all lying in a dark drawer lined with soft cloth, but I'd like a nice display case that would also be proper for long-term storage (with a couple silica gel packets put in for moisture control.)

I have recently been looking into 2 inch deep (a measurement specifically recommended for buckles) glass top display cases with foam linings that are supposed to keep pieces in place by the pressure from the glass lid when closed. I'm a bit concerned this might harm the obverse of a buckle over time, though.

If anyone has any thoughts on any of this or some ideas to share it would be greatly appreciated. Additionally, I thought this could be a nice opportunity for members to "showcase" (by whatever kind of method used) some of their buckle collections in layout or spread-out fashion as one might see at a show. This would just be cool to see and would also be a help to myself and others who are curious about this topic.

Thanks and best to you all,
    Adam

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Koppelschloss Collection Display/Storage: Examples, Ideas & Opinions
    P
    Many

Default Re: Koppelschloss Collection Display/Storage: Examples, Ideas & Opinions

Hello Adam

I think that an important feature is something that you have already alluded to, insofar as do you want to maintain an organised storage system or do you wish to display?. Effective storage has so many working options to include easily available compact sliding draw systems, however an overt and instant visual display is potentially challenging. Manageable when the collector has a few dozen buckles, however when a collection grows to the top hundreds and beyond, it is challenging unless you have a large table top type display room and are willing to invest in a large number of display frames.

Personally, I never display and instead use a series of sliding draw systems.

Regards,

David

Default Re: Koppelschloss Collection Display/Storage: Examples, Ideas & Opinions

Hi, David and thanks for the reply.
    Yes, as you put it I'd like "an overt and instant visual display" for the time being as I hold only a modest collection of 15 buckles at the moment (soon to be 17 when a couple of uncommon and much anticipated SA's arrive!)
    So I guess my real interest and questions thus far are in regards to wall-mountable and table top display cases. It seems simple enough to find a quality glass top display case that is the (recommended?) 2 inches deep with foam inlay where the buckle is supposed to be secured between this and the closed glass top.
    Is this what others would or do in fact do with some smaller collections or a few select buckles? Any opinions or guidance on this is, of course, much appreciated.

Best,
    Adam

?

Hello I have used the 2 inch deep riker mounds for the last 25-30 years. I've never had any problem. I cover the foam with some type cloth. I live in a very dry climate so I don't have to deal with high humidity or sea air.

I would start a list now and keep it updated. I will need it if you want to get collectors insurance. I also keep photos of my collection on memory sticks. If i'm at a big show, I can scan my buckles. When get 20-30 SA buckles it's a big help. Kirby

?

Hi Adam... I've been thinking about this very problem myself (in preparation for the huge collection I'm going to one day have!). I simply did a quick google search to look for inspiration, just entering "collectors' display trays" and I found quite a few interesting sites... have a look at this one for example... NASCAR Display Case and Diecast Display Cases - Toy Car Display Case and Die cast model Display cases and Model Car Display Case Company
    ... possibly not exactly what you are looking for but they may inspire some ideas. I personally want to be able to see my buckles but also know that they are safely stored, etc. so something along these lines would probably suit me, but see what you think.
    Cheers... Hansi
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Koppelschloss Collection Display/Storage: Examples, Ideas & Opinions   Koppelschloss Collection Display/Storage: Examples, Ideas & Opinions  

?

Sorry Adam... the link to the website didn't quite work, here it is again...
    Display Case - Display Cases made of Plastic Acrylic Plexiglass Lucite Glass Wood

?

the best display shelving i have seen is Rics its always stuck in my mind,maybe if he sees this he may post a pic rgds Dave

Thanks for the link, Hansi...I'll check it out. It sounds like we are somewhat like-minded as far as how we'd like to display/store our our smaller (but growing!) collections.
    Thanks for the reply, Dave. I assume you are referring to Ric Ferrari from the WAF buckle forum? Yes, hopefully he might see this and share his display methods, etc.

Thanks again, all.
    Best,
    Adam

?

Hi , How about blueprint cabinets ? They come in different sizes and you could use riker boxes in the drawers and display a couple at a time , and switch them out now and then . I have added a couple of pictures of one I am using ( sorry us patches not buckles ) . I mostly keep paper items in these posters maps etc.
    Dave
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Koppelschloss Collection Display/Storage: Examples, Ideas & Opinions   Koppelschloss Collection Display/Storage: Examples, Ideas & Opinions  

Hey Dave....any idea where one could find these blueprint cases? How deep are they? A couple inches? 1.5 inches?
    Thanks! That certainly looks interesting - you could put a whack load of buckles in there!
    Cheers!
    Rob

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast