Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Leather and saddle soap?

Article about: Hi guys, Many years ago saddle soap was the done thing to preserve leather belts. What's the current feelings? I personally don't touch anything if it's in an ok state. However, if it's in d

Default Leather and saddle soap?

Hi guys,

Many years ago saddle soap was the done thing to preserve leather belts. What's the current feelings? I personally don't touch anything if it's in an ok state. However, if it's in danger of drying out???? I've also heard of linseed oil being used?

I think the problem with centrally heated houses can cause issues?

Thoughts? Discuss?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Leather and saddle soap?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Leather and saddle soap?

I have used saddle soap Lenny, I have also used a Dr ???? leather cream which was fantastic for almost dried out leather, I have also used womens hand cream, very effective!! But like you, unless a dire emergency I always leave them as found if possible
    Ben

?

Linseed oil is the old base for oil paint. It is ok for wood but I wouldn't use it on leather.

Raw linseed, not boiled linseed oil has been used for years to soften leather, although neatsfoot oil is apparently better. I've never used it, just old time collectors told me about it. I personally used to use a light going over with saddle soap only if really dry leather. Like Ben mentioned, only really in an emergency.

Just wondering others thoughts on it.....

?

You will find that all of the bullcrap especially neatsfoot oil that is supposed to be good for leather just damages the leather further. That fact is commonly known by conservationists and most educated advanced military collectors. There is no magic preparation that makes leather better.
    Lenny you are right about the linseed oil. When I see the word I automatically think of boiled.

JMHO.
    My father was a shoe maker and firmly believed in a product called "Shoe Saver" (silicone) treatment. Granted, at first it causes the leather to be a little darker but, always seemed to work well. It also waterproofs but still allows the leather to breathe.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I've used saddle soap for pretty much ever. Can't say that I've ever run into a problem with it. I've also used Redwing Boot Oil, but it does tend to darken leather.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I think my feeling is, if it doesn't need it, don't touch it... However, if it's going to fall apart, extremely dry, then better to save what is there than let it break apart...