Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Need Help: Information & Opinions On Cleaning/Restoration and Preservation of Buckles

Article about: I bought one of these small ultrasonic cleaners from the Tschibo shop in Manama, Kingdom of Bahrain. The instructions for use were in German, Dutch and Polish. Nothing in English. Having &qu

Default Need Help: Information & Opinions On Cleaning/Restoration and Preservation of Buckles

I bought one of these small ultrasonic cleaners from the Tschibo shop in Manama, Kingdom of Bahrain. The instructions for use were in German, Dutch and Polish. Nothing in English. Having "Googled" how to use a domestic u/s cleaner (how sad is that), I gained the impression that tepid water and washing up liquid was the order of the day.

Good fun to watch though!

Regards,

David

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need Help: Information & Opinions On Cleaning/Restoration and Preservation of Buckles
    P
    Many

Default Re: Need Help: Information & Opinions On Cleaning/Restoration and Preservation of Buckles

To me one is right when he says ;
    the owner of a buckle should do what they feel comfortable with
    ...but as a professional restorer I always hold my breath when somebody comes running in telling he is starting the restoration of his object.
    The most important rule is that any restoration must be able to be un-done without any deterioration of the object (that is a rule!!).

I do agree that patina in a way
    .... is post 1945 dirt, filth, grime et al ....
    but I do like the think of the romantic aspect it might have come on.
    I do not clean any object, exept for dust or rust.
    And
    ...that a clean original buckle could ever be mistaken for a clean original fake...
    is thrue in a way ....:when people don't know much about the subject.
    It happen to me often after having restored a object (not specifacly militaria I am talking about here!!)
    Here are some of my restorations on buckles.
    One picture shows how it came in the other what it should look like.
    Non of booth are finished yet.
    I do have pic's of how they where and how they became, but I have just been cleaning up my PC and have them on memmory sticks.
    I just took some I had laying there at the momment.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Help: Information & Opinions On Cleaning/Restoration and Preservation of Buckles   Need Help: Information & Opinions On Cleaning/Restoration and Preservation of Buckles  

Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Default Perhaps I have it wrong ?

Seriously - perhaps I have it wrong ?

Remind me, however surely we are not talking about fine art, old bronzes, coins, stamps, Medieval tapestry, ancient books, hand crafted furniture, Georgian silver and the rest.

It is German belt buckles for goodness sake, the majority of which were churned out in their countless thousands, commercially driven and rather akin to sausages on a conveyor line.

No more and no less.

Regards,

David

Default Re: Perhaps I have it wrong ?

Quote by David North View Post
    Seriously - perhaps I have it wrong ?

Remind me, however surely we are not talking about fine art, old bronzes, coins, stamps, Medieval tapestry, ancient books, hand crafted furniture, Georgian silver and the rest.

It is German belt buckles for goodness sake, the majority of which were churned out in their countless thousands, commercially driven and rather akin to sausages on a conveyor line.

No more and no less.

Regards,

David
    Exactly!
    To me just a way to have (epoxy)left overs (when restoring )being usefull instead of being trown away.
    It is also a nice exercise , so one is able to perfect some crafts.
    And when you say ;
    ....we are not talking about fine art, old bronzes, coins, stamps, Medieval tapestry, ancient books, hand crafted furniture, Georgian silver and the rest.....
    I have seen old medieval , even Roman objects ,being restored
    being worth much less then a TR buckle.....
    Regards
    Kris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

Default Re: Need Help: Information & Opinions On Cleaning/Restoration and Preservation of Buckles

I polished up a Brass SA buckle to go with a brown shirt display. It looked brand new but in a few years it was back to the same condition as my other brass buckles. I don't think you could pick it out from the one that were never cleaned. Kirby

Again gents, having read all the threads and some very interesting it all boils down to the personal choice of the individual collector, it been a good thread thus far please keep it that way
    Ben

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2