Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions please on these seven buckles

Article about: Several years ago a relative passed who collected all things German. His collection consisted of real and reproduction items. I have spent some time researching these items and would like to

bdc
    ?

Default Opinions please on these seven buckles

Several years ago a relative passed who collected all things German. His collection consisted of real and reproduction items. I have spent some time researching these items and would like to find out how I've done. I thought I would start with these buckles which I believe are authentic. I believe they are 1. A late war police buckle made from pot metal 2. Aluminum police buckle 3. Steel youth buckle 4. Aluminum Luftwaffe nco drop tail Buckle 5. Steel Luftwaffe nco 2nd series buckle 6. SA brass with mobile swastika buckle 7. 57mm Aluminum with gold wash political leaders buckle. I have individual pictures if needed.Thanks for looking and please correct me on any errors.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions please on these seven buckles   Opinions please on these seven buckles  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions please on these seven buckles
    P
    Many

I think that the first Polizei buckle has a repaired denazified svastica and the second pattern Luftwaffe buckle is a fake, the rest of buckles are OK

I agree with Ivan, all good apart from that one Luft
    Ben

bdc
    ?

Thanks a bunch guys, I really appreciate it. I've looked at a ton of pictures but it's not easy.

Dear bdc,

I am with Ivanjoaquin and Ben on this grouping of buckles, although 2 minor notes.

Is the SA buckle marked RZM M/4/27 ? Difficult to tell from your images, however it appears to be an Overhoff buckle from a casual glance.

I have an immense respect for Ivanjoaquin's expertise and opinion on buckles, however I am not sure that the swastika to the Police buckle has been tampered with in any way. These strange, roughly made, enigmatic and yet still well documented buckles, are usually found with a low profile and low detail swastika.

Regards and best wishes,

David
    Last edited by David North; 09-06-2019 at 01:19 PM.

[QUOTE=

I have an immense respect for Ivanjoaquin's expertise and opinion on buckles, however I am not sure that the swastika to the Police buckle has been tampered with in any way. These strange, roughly made, enigmatic and yet still well documented buckles, are usually found with a low profile and low detail swastika.
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks David, you are right (as habitually), I have been reviewing pics of this type of buckle and indeed the svastica is very flat and blurredDavid is right (as usual ), I have been reviewing photos of examples of this type of buckle and indeed the svastica is very flat and blurred
    Bsst regards
    Iván

bdc
    ?

David there are no markings. The reason I thought this was some kind of pot medal was because it looks like it's cracked, very much like your 2nd pic. And since I'm calling it cracked I'm going to call it crude too. Though not completely flat the swastika is significantly flatter than my other police buckle. This buckle is not magnetic, maybe that rules out pot medal. I do have a much better individual picture front and back if anyone want's to see it. David and Ivanjoaquin, I really appreciate you guys looking at this. I hope I'm not wasting your time with some kind of reproduction. Greg

Dear Iván,

You give me far too much credit as and thank goodness, I still make many mistakes about buckles and I am constantly learning. This is I think a positive weakness as it promotes discussion on the Forum and to quote Alexander Pope, "to err is human, to forgive, divine".

Dear Greg,

I was not anticipating seeing any makers markings or whatever on the "crude" Police buckle. Goodness knows what the metal is, however it is certainly a low grade composite alloy of questionable pedigree. This buckle is sometimes encountered with a leather strap, the latter complete with a catch manufactured from the same grim quality metal. Not a rare buckle and yours is missing a leather tongue which would have been originally attached. Without wishing to appear patronising, may I suggest that you undertake a Forum search, as I know that this type of buckle has been shown and discussed in the past.

It was your SA buckle that I was referring to with regards to markings. Somewhat difficult to tell from your images, however I wondered if the oval shaped mark supported M/4/27 for Overhoff or even, M/4/72 for Deumer. This is simply idle curiosity on my part.

Regards and best wishes,

David

bdc
    ?

David it's M/4/27

Greg

Thankyou Greg for your clarification towards the marking details on the SA buckle.

Regards and best wishes,

David