Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Penal Battalion Buckle: Real or Fake

Article about: Thanks everyone for the comments! I learned some facts. There is an interesting history of these units, perhaps most notably the 999th Rehabilitation Unit(North Africa) , and the infamous Di

?

Default Penal Battalion Buckle: Real or Fake

Hello,
    I have what I believe to be an original Penal Battalion buckle, however I have noticed that there is a particularly high level of knowledge on this forum, and would like to find out for sure if possible. I appreciate your time and consideration.
    -M
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Penal Battalion Buckle: Real or Fake  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Penal Battalion Buckle: Real or Fake
    P
    Many

Default Re: Penal Battalion Buckle: Real or Fake

These buckles were produced after 1945, so they are, IMO, a fake!
    Gruß Max

M, there is a big belief that these are post war manufactured, however!!! I also believe that some of these have been ground dug from notorious battle areas, if Dimas reads this thread he may even have an example of one as I think it was Dimas that commented once that he had either seen Penal buckle that had been ground dug or even found them himself! So at the moment for me the verdict remains open on these buckles until more evidence can be found to say whether they are in fact TR era or post war produced.
    Ben

BTW, they look ugly

Quote by Federer View Post
    BTW, they look ugly
    Yes I agree LOL, just another point, you will see alot these with Berge & Nolte markings normally dated 1943, if you look at the make up of the buckle they look typical of B&N, but again, TR or post war made for me is yet to be decided!
    Ben

A good way to punish people...let them wear this buckle

?

Eveyone I have seen has been B&N 43 marked. Most of these are found in excellent to mint condition. I've are post war I think you would find more worn examples. I had a well worn example from a collection I picked up but they are to ugly to keep.

?

I have heard, not official mind you, that these buckles were for the female Wart Hog battalions. They were used on the eastern front to ugly the soviet troops into paralysis allowing the storm troops to come in behind them and dispatch them in a proper manner.
    There-fore, the lumpy wart like texture of the buckle center.
    SteveR

Yes....they are quite unattractive. I still think they have their place (though not a major one) in every German belt buckle collection.
    Cheers!
    Rob

?

I suppose they werent made to look pretty, penal battalions were normally classed as persona non grata, therefore not entitled to wear national emblems i believe which included adlers and tricolours

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast