Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Swastika buckle

Article about: Here is an interesting buckle from a friends collection. I would love to own this one. I think this might have been a Reicheer buckle and it had the swastika roundel added.

?

Default Re: Swastika buckle

Quote by kirby View Post
    Here is an interesting buckle from a friends collection. I would love to own this one. I think this might have been a Reicheer buckle and it had the swastika roundel added.
    Very nice buckle, Kirby!

And the first time for me to see a sympathizers buckle with a pebbled field.
    Possible that we have here a canibalized Reichsheer buckle wich was married with a new roundel, but if at all custom-made and not in a factory! The latter makes no sense as the Reichsheer buckle was the official buckle for the Wehrmacht soldiers up to 1935. Hardly imaginalble that a producer took former Reichsheer buckles to produce a sympathizer buckle! The period of all sympathizer buckles was finally pre 1933 in my eyes!

Best,
    Guido

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Quote by DrPMC View Post
    I am sure that I am far behind the game with this, but I wonder if anyone can offer an explanation for what seems to me to be an interesting detail of this buckle? I note that one half of the wreath around the swastika is of laurel leaves, the other of oak leaves. I notice on Third Reich Heer buckles the sprays of leaves are of oak leaves, whereas Imperial buckles feature the laurels. Iím no expert on this aspect of iconography but would associate the oak with northern European imagery, whilst the laurels suggest classical Rome and Greece.
    I don't know what it exactly means but the full wreath from oak and laurel leaves is a well known design element of Weimar era buckles. You can observe it for instance also on "Der Stahlhelm" and on "Wehrwolf" buckles.

Best,
    Guido

?

Thanks for the input. The four buckles I have posted the last few days are from a friends collection. I am trying to get him to become an active forum member. He has over 1500 buckles in his collection.

Wow, now that would be interesting, that's is a lot of buckles and he may have variations that no one has seen
    Ben

I have seen that buckle before somewhere, Organization I don't know one dealer had one marked "FrieKorps buckle" I don't know if that would be correct. timothy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12