Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Third Reich Belt Buckle Books and Reference Guides

Article about: Hi, all. I want to get some books on TR belt buckles and was wondering what might be a good first one and what you guys would reccomend. I was considering the three books below, the last of

Question Third Reich Belt Buckle Books and Reference Guides

Hi, all. I want to get some books on TR belt buckles and was wondering what might be a good first one and what you guys would reccomend. I was considering the three books below, the last of which interests me also as I am a student of psychology. I have heard a lot of references to the Angolia book and assume it's good but haven't heard anything about the Evans book. There was also the Peter Nash book that I was looking at, however it appears to be on buckles of "enlisted soldiers" and I'm more looking for all-around books and guides right now.

Third Reich Belt Buckles: An Illustrated Handbook and Price Guide
    Evans, Bob

Belt Buckles & Brocades Of The Third Reich
    Lt. Col (Ret) John R Angolia

Nazi Buckles: Psychology And Fighting Spirit
    Ray R Cowdery

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    -Adam

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Third Reich Belt Buckle Books and Reference Guides
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Third Reich Belt Buckle Books and Reference Guides

Hello Angolias Revised edition is worth having but like all books it has mistakes.

The Evans book has some good picture and some nice buckles but it has 8-10 repos and a lot of refinished buckles. The pricing was way off when the book came out. Ten years later some buckles would now be a bargin but lots of them are still way off.

The third book is worthless except for some interesting fantasy buckles.
    Last edited by kirby; 06-17-2010 at 09:33 PM.

Kirby is right.....I would suggest two books: Angolia's exampe and Peter Nash's book as well! Probably the two best ones out there.
    Cheers!
    Rob

here are two more sources:Collecting Third Reich Belt Buckles: a Russian Perspective by Vladimir B. Ulyanov,,,and Nazi Belt Buckles by Jack L. Britton,,and Belt Buckles of the Third Reich by Thomas Reid,,,

The Reid book is an older example with drawn illustrations...still not bad for the price I think. I have heard very BAD things about the Vladimir Ulyanov book.
    Rob

IMO the Angolia and Nash are the best two books
    Last edited by Ben Evans; 06-20-2010 at 08:34 AM.
    Ben

Thanks for the help opinions, guys. I'm going to go ahead and get the Angolia and Nash books.

Best,
    Adam

The Angolia (second edition and in my opinion, way ahead of it's time when first published ) and Nash tomes are a good basis for reference and also, they are easy to find and purchase. The Bandau and also the Catella publications are both (again in my opinion) very interesting, however unfortunately, they are now difficult to find and often have a premium price attached.

It is the nature of the beast perhaps that no buckle reference is perfect and all and without exception, have errors, mistakes, etc., etc. This I think and on reflection is not important, once the collector realises this harsh fact of life.

All I would suggest is:-

USE ANY BOOK AS A GUIDE, NO MORE AND NO LESS AND DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ACCEPT ANYTHING WRITTEN OR SHOWN AS DEFINITIVE OR 100% CORRECT.

Regards,

David