Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Thoughts on rust removal/cleaning??

Article about: I got this well-worn and quite rusty steel buckle. It is marked ESL40. I am wondering what I should do to remove the rust or stop the process from continuing. Any thoughts as to what you all

Default Thoughts on rust removal/cleaning??

I got this well-worn and quite rusty steel buckle. It is marked ESL40. I am wondering what I should do to remove the rust or stop the process from continuing. Any thoughts as to what you all would recommend?

I don't want to ruin it, but don't want it to disintegrate either.
    Thanks,
    Roger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thoughts on rust removal/cleaning??
    P
    Many

Default Re: Thoughts on rust removal/cleaning??

Roger, I would personally keep it in a nice dry place and do nothing else with it, but that is me
    Ben

I agree with Ben on this one.....it'll keep just fine in a dry place. Shouldn't get any worse.

Cheers!

Rob

I for one will often carefully clean and touch-up certain of my buckles but with this one I agree with Ben and Rob's sound advice. I never mess around with anything with original paint, gilt, etc. If you ever have a buckle that you want to clean (and can safely do so without doing any damage) there are some prior discussions here on the topic. For a real rust problem on a buckle that you can safely clean I like Renaissance Metal De-corroder.

Best,
    Adam

Hi Roger, I can only agree with all the guys here. The buckle will not get worse if kept in a normal household envoiroment.

I think it has a nice aged look. Taking off the rust would reveal brighter steel and i think this would look odd.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks y'all for the answers. I shall leave it as it is.

Regards,
    Roger

would wiping with a light oil harm the paint?

Quote by josephc View Post
    would wiping with a light oil harm the paint?
    No not really, but does darken the rusted areas and in my eyes makes the buckle look worse (I have been there myself) but again that is my opinion
    Ben

Hi roger,
    nice original buckle i like it as is, You will find that some collectors with items that look the part always want to mess with them to make them look better. In my opinion it make it worse
    than it is; these items have earned there look after all these yrs, it will display better as it is.
    dave.