Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Where, why were belt buckles denazified?

Article about: Hi, I'm new to belt buckles and just bought my first, which has had the swastika scrubbed. Some internet searching shows this is not uncommon, but can't find anything telling me when, where,

nephros
    ?

Default Where, why were belt buckles denazified?

Hi, I'm new to belt buckles and just bought my first, which has had the swastika scrubbed. Some internet searching shows this is not uncommon, but can't find anything telling me when, where, and why it was done. Any help would be appreciated.

2. # ADS

Default Re: Where, why were belt buckles denazified?

Hi Nephros , from what i know after the war , mainly in germany anything with the swastika on was a no no , so many people de nazified items , or hid them away , its still frowned apon today , cheers Raymond

?

Sometimes that was made by POWs, but mostly of them was postwar worn and due of forbidden swastika, they remove it. Also in Eastern front- buckles used as trophees by Soviet soldiers where all redesigned.
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

Hi Nephros,

I can imagine at least 3 scenarios:

1. partisans utilising captured equipment. It was not uncommon over here
    2. POWs. Believe that was compulsory to remove the national symbol while in captivity
    3. post 45 reutilisation. Those were hard times and they reutilise everything. It was common until 20 years ago to find farmers around here working with military uniforms readapted; boots, jackets, hats and belts. Helmets were more unlucky ...used for chicken food or to empty the black waters in the houses.

I hope my answer was useful to you

nephros
    ?

Thank you all, that was exactly what I wanted to know! IMO The fun in collecting is trying to put together the story with the piece.

nephros
    ?

one other question...

What is the function of the leather strip with the makers stamp? I realised relatively quickly when I got the buckle that it is not a part of the belt, and can't figure out how it would go with the belt itself.

The leather tab was designed to help keep the belt in place. I have included a pic of a web belt which shows it in use. (Just the same as the leather version in design)

It was later found to be un-nessesary and was no longer used. Perhaps Ben can give you a date when it ceased to be used? I would guess it went by 1942/43???

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Where, why were belt buckles denazified?  

Hi guys, the leather "tab" as it is known is also a support tab, used to help support the weight of the ammo pouch, they ceased to be used in 1943 to save on leather. Some companies did still produce some 1943 dated tabs, CTD (Christian Theodore Dicke) produced police buckles with 43 dated tabs and I have also seen one by Schmole & Comp. I am waiting for the day when I come across a 43 dated Heer buckle with tab, my own "Holy Grail"of the buckle world
    Ben

nephros
    ?

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks again! You guys are great.