Become our sponsor and display your banner here

WWII German leather belt variations, explanations?

Article about: I'm getting confused! ;-) Too many belts, and not much to go on as to what's what. What was issued to who, and for what use? I'm looking to pair a belt/buckle with a 1944 made Hi Power, so l

Default WWII German leather belt variations, explanations?

I'm getting confused! ;-)

Too many belts, and not much to go on as to what's what. What was issued to who, and for what use?

I'm looking to pair a belt/buckle with a 1944 made Hi Power, so latish war... with a really nifty pebbled holster that is a fairly dark brown. Holster is marked "jkh" 4 (Carl Busse, Mainz) - Eagle/WaA 286. For whatever reason I decided to pair this up with a pebbled Heer belt buckle (I have a soft spot for Infantry, or maybe it's the pebbled motif?), and I'm looking for the right leather to come along, and... lots of questions keep popping into my head?

Are belts for the three branches of the Wehrmacht, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine the same, or different from one another in discernible ways?

Obviously (well, maybe) dress and combat belts are different but how?

What is the difference between the sewed catch you see on some belts, and the pinned one (I see referred to as light duty) you see on some others. Is this an early war, late war thing? Or dress versus combat?

What are the colors (mostly back and brown obviously) that were used, and for whom?

I do see that very late war belts dispensed with the tongue altogether.

I also see a lined belt variation?

Anyone who could shed some light on this for me? I'd very much appreciate it.

And so what is the belt I'm looking for, 1944 but maybe for a higher up or elite. Or maybe just a simple combat belt? Although the HP was issued (or commandeered) by mostly special troops, I know the Luftwaffe came in a took a block of these, supposedly fallschirmjager wore these, among others. All the same, I want this to be a ground troop type of display item.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Default Re: WWII German leather belt variations, explanations?

To answer your question you are after the late war M44 belt issued with no leather tongue. In the early war days leather belts, boots and pouches were issued a brown or tan colour the individual then had to dye them or polish them black, later then then started to issue them black coloured. Have you read this thread at all?

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/belt-b...nd-fakes-5102/

This might help a little
    Ben