Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs

Article about: Well, I know there are other threads that have been started in the past about the originality of Wartime Photos. However, I frequently receieve PM's asking for advice or assitance about how

?

Default Re: Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs

It's good to be paranoid these days in photo collecting! haha j/k. But honestly, my opinions judging by the photos provided:

The SS photo is mocking an Agfa Brovira paper 6x9 photo that I compared to in my collection....but the cut is not exactly a correct match. Doesnt mean its bad.....and I personally think its probably okay.

IMHO the truck photo is a "grey fake", which examples/details are shown earlier in this thread. There are a handful of "grey fake variants" out there, and this seems to one of them.

The French POW pic looks okay, until I saw the bottom left, which looks like it was cut with scissors (uneven cut). It might be the way the scan/picture of the photo looks on the screen tho.

Even tho the coastal one is lacking detail/contrast....I think its okay.

However, the last one "4 army men" is a tough one without seeing in hand. I have a photo that has the same exact cut/edges as yours does...... and Ive never been comfortable with it. It doesnt glow....but something about it doesnt sit right with me.

See the same cut on my photo Here:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs
    P
    Many

Please let me know where is the best place to buy the UV light
    Quote by slados28 View Post
    Thanks for doing the compare! This one has a plain, not glossy, obverse.... hmmm, I'll scan the back and post tomorrow. I'll also be getting myself a UV light

?

Plenty for sale on E Bay Evgeni.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Bill T View Post
    It's good to be paranoid these days in photo collecting! haha j/k. But honestly, my opinions judging by the photos provided:

The SS photo is mocking an Agfa Brovira paper 6x9 photo that I compared to in my collection....but the cut is not exactly a correct match. Doesnt mean its bad.....and I personally think its probably okay.

IMHO the truck photo is a "grey fake", which examples/details are shown earlier in this thread. There are a handful of "grey fake variants" out there, and this seems to one of them.

The French POW pic looks okay, until I saw the bottom left, which looks like it was cut with scissors (uneven cut). It might be the way the scan/picture of the photo looks on the screen tho.

Even tho the coastal one is lacking detail/contrast....I think its okay.

However, the last one "4 army men" is a tough one without seeing in hand. I have a photo that has the same exact cut/edges as yours does...... and Ive never been comfortable with it. It doesnt glow....but something about it doesnt sit right with me.

See the same cut on my photo Here:
    Thank you for evaluating them. When they get to me, I'll take more pictures of them to provide, that may prove more conclusive. I feel naive for not having checked them before buying, since I would have done with pretty much any other kind of Third Reich-related purchase. I'm hoping at least that the French POWs photo turns out to be good, that one I was particularly pleased with (and predictably, cost the most). On the plus side, the seller accepts returns, and appears to be honestly selling off his own collection.

Mat

The ink stamp on the revers of the POW photo might be of the "Kampf im Westen" type of photo books, but I am not certain. These photos were made by a professional photographer and sold throughout the Third Reich.

Quote by Evgeni M View Post
    The ink stamp on the revers of the POW photo might be of the "Kampf im Westen" type of photo books, but I am not certain. These photos were made by a professional photographer and sold throughout the Third Reich.
    Sold to the press, I assume? Also, do you happen to know what the stamp actually stands for?

Mat

Military and police not censored?

Military and police not censored?
    'Military Police' came to mind for me too, but it was just a guess. I'm sure someone will know.

Mat

Please let me know where is the best place to buy the UV light
    I've ordered this cheapy... think it will do just fine 2 In 1 UV Black Light Handheld Torch Portable Fake Money ID Detector Lamp Tool | eBay

Thanks a lot, will order it this week!
    Quote by slados28 View Post

Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast