Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs

Article about: Well, I know there are other threads that have been started in the past about the originality of Wartime Photos. However, I frequently receieve PM's asking for advice or assitance about how

?

Default Re: Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs

Quote by ToxicGas View Post
    Thank you for evaluating them. When they get to me, I'll take more pictures of them to provide, that may prove more conclusive. I feel naive for not having checked them before buying, since I would have done with pretty much any other kind of Third Reich-related purchase. I'm hoping at least that the French POWs photo turns out to be good, that one I was particularly pleased with (and predictably, cost the most). On the plus side, the seller accepts returns, and appears to be honestly selling off his own collection.

Mat

Yeah Mat, I would say that you are alright. I personally like the French POW photo as well and dont think you have much to worry about. The stamp does look like the style used on press/etc photos. Even the 4 Army men photo.....it's probably fine. But Again..... the only 1 I would have another look at when you get them in hand is the Truck photo.

And yes, that UV blacklight is perfectly fine for the job! A good tool to have for white paper items

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

More Sellers to add to the "Sketchy" list

Holzwurm505 (Selling alot of Grey Fakes) (albums he sells seem okay tho) -BE CAREFUL

b.m.1945 (also sells grey fakes)

I took the liberty of updating and re-posting Bill T's original list of "good and bad" ebay sellers with some of his and others subsequent input.

I feel it should be stated though, with such a list at hand, that any seller can make an "honest" mistake once in a while, I guess this categorization is more due to the ratio of fakes vs. originals making it obvious that some of these are deliberately trying to pass fakes off as genuine originals...
    When in doubt one should consult the experts on here, it's quite obvious that some of their expertise is invaluable for the more novice collector just getting started (such as myself), I certainly know I've learned a LOT since first registering here...

Anyway, the list:

Ebay sellers ranging from BAD to undoubtedly QUESTIONABLE:

TOLZOR1
    Totenkopf_Elite
    Sankyoaikido
    Adolffe
    Mullwin (russian Archive fakes)
    love2dig4 (some good ones, but alot of bad panzer pics)
    quabil
    Enna2 (some photos are bad, but he is doing better and at least trying to sell good ones)
    mister.kite (bad ones)
    Holzwurm505 (Selling a lot of Grey Fakes) (albums he sells seem okay tho) -BE CAREFUL
    b.m.1945 (also sells grey fakes)

GOOD/TRUSTWORTHY Ebay sellers:

Koelsch333
    FotoHistoriker
    Engelbubu-foto
    Lopesan
    EA-antik
    Antikfuchs1
    ba-re
    dragons72
    fotohistorik
    freshfound
    gamsdivision1944
    keithmydog
    Isru31c
    new-lsmft5
    reichskarte
    rwcmilitaria
    therebelslacker
    321..dankshehr
    Milantik2000

__________________________________________________ ______

Perhaps a "Sketchy" list, per Bill T's recent post, with additional notes should be created for the sellers that are kind of "in between"?

?

Bill t, NO MONEY! NO REFUND! The seller was playing me all along to buy time so he can avoid refunding my money. I called paypal tonight and they said its 3 days outside the 45 days, but they will make a one time acception and open up a dispute, you were 100% right about this criminal! He was playing me all along to buy enough time not to refund my money! To my fellow collectors, the seller ebay id name is tolzor1, and his name is Kateryna Artyushkova (AKA Prick). I'm infuriated right now!

Quote by Bill T View Post
    Well, Ive matched the paper to an example in my collection......but mine has a glossy finished obverse. It actually might have a chance.....but I tend to be sketched out for you because of the sellers reputation
    Here's the back of the Narvik photo, I don't really have much faith in it... especially with regards to our boy TOLZOR1's track record of fakery
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img128 (Large).jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	359278  

?

Slados, thanks for updating the list! That needed to be done. Your photo: Even though its tough to say for sure with the black residue covering most of the back....I have to say I dont have much faith either, from knowing the source. And I agree with you that some sellers can certainly make mistakes.

I knew a seller who got stuck with a hoard of fake photos from a distributor in Germany, who I was told actually supplies alot of the well known scammers on Ebay. He started to post them for sale on Ebay and soon found out that he too was scammed. He lost alot of money, but was honest enough not to sell them as original photos from then on. He gained my respect from that, and I still buy from him privately to this day because of it. So sellers can make mistakes, but its pretty easy to figure out the ones who are trying to be honest.

Samir......I'm sorry to hear that. Sadly I figured it wouldnt turn out well, as Ebay spends very little to no time at all on cases like this. That is why these sellers keep on selling there fakes without reprocussion. I'm suprised but glad that they extended the deadline for you to open a dispute. Hopefully this might get that scumbag to refund your money. I really hope it turns out positively for you

?

Quote by Bill T View Post
    Samir......I'm sorry to hear that. Sadly I figured it wouldnt turn out well, as Ebay spends very little to no time at all on cases like this. That is why these sellers keep on selling there fakes without reprocussion. I'm suprised but glad that they extended the deadline for you to open a dispute. Hopefully this might get that scumbag to refund your money. I really hope it turns out positively for you
    Hi Bill, sorry about the other day, I was very upset & lost my cool. I opened up the dispute with paypal and not ebay, because with my experience I have a better chance with them than ebay. These days, ebay sides with the seller and not the buyer, so I take matters to paypal where I have had better luck. The dispute is still open and hopefully paypal will find it in my favor, if not, $80 is not gonna kill me. I will keep u guys posted, thanks

Samir

What do you guys think about this photo of the Führer? I am in the process of getting a view of the back and will post it when I can. Thanks!

It looks like an old photograph to me, judging from the bent corners and old paper look. But I really have no idea.

Corey
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HITLER.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	360709  

Hi, I've received the photos, and so here's the pictures I said I'd provide- I've tried to include any details that might help. Unfortunately, I'm unaware of how to insert text between the photos, so please let me know if you need to know which photos correspond with which.

• The SS photo shows lines across the picture, I'm no expert on the nature of photography at the time, but do those lines indicate some kind of photocopied image?
    • The truck image is on the same kind of paper, matte finish with a slight yellowish-tint. Both have different remnants of attached paper on the back, which I know is faked.
    • The pictures of the man at the cliffs and the one of the four soldiers are similarly both of the same kind of paper (white and glossy), though are marked differently on the back
    • The press photo of the French POWs also shows these subtle horizontal lines, but is on glossy paper.

Hopefully verdicts can be made on the originality from these pictures. Thanks in advance!

Mat

Name:	DSC04663.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	153.6 KB 
ID:	363051   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04641.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	185.0 KB 
ID:	363033  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04642.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	226.6 KB 
ID:	363034   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04643.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	363035  

Name:	DSC04649.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	363036   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04650.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	217.8 KB 
ID:	363037  

Name:	DSC04651.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	363038   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04652.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	215.2 KB 
ID:	363039  

Name:	DSC04653.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	219.2 KB 
ID:	363040   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04654.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	363041  

Name:	DSC04655.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	197.3 KB 
ID:	363042   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04656.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	363043  

Name:	DSC04657.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	363044   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04659.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	177.8 KB 
ID:	363047  

Name:	DSC04658.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	363046   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04660.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	191.9 KB 
ID:	363048  

Name:	DSC04661.jpg 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	363049   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04662.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	179.1 KB 
ID:	363050  

Name:	DSC04664.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	363058   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04666.jpg 
Size:	225.0 KB 
ID:	363062  

Name:	DSC04665.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	227.0 KB 
ID:	363060   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04667.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	363063  

?

Hey Mat, thanks for posting better pics, now that they arrived. I think you are okay my friend! I am going to be perfectly honest with you tho, and say that there is still something that bugs me about the SS pic.......but I might just be being too judgemental! haha But the others are all good IMO. Some nice new additions to your collection too!

Samir, I dont blame you at all, I would be upset if it were me as well. You have a better chance with Paypal I would assume, and really hope you get your money back. I think it is a good thing that you try to get your money back, as these sellers are probably hoping that people wont even bother to try! So good for you my friend!

Hi Corey, tough to tell from here......and unfortunately I would need to see the reverse to form an accurate opinion. I personally stay away from pics of the Fuhrer, as there are many that are PK postcards and/or mass produced/etc. I dont know enough about them to know all of the popular or famous Images of the Fuhrer, which is the main reason I tend to stay away. I guess you would have to ask yourself if this was a private photo, or an image that is well know/similar. Sorry I couldnt be more help, maybe someone else knows......