Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 ... LastLast

Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs

Article about: Well, I know there are other threads that have been started in the past about the originality of Wartime Photos. However, I frequently receieve PM's asking for advice or assitance about how

?

Default Re: Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs

Wanted to share a very good presentation and study by Paul Messier. I highly reccomend checking this out if you want to learn about photo paper and the techniques used in different time periods. Its called " A Methodology for Dating Photographs, relative to the 1950's", but he talks alot about wartime photo paper as well. You can tell his experience mostly lies in the 1950's paper and up, but it is still very informative and for the most part accurate IMO.

ITS ONLY 32 Pages w/ pictures and diagrams! Easy to flip through.

Here is the FREE presentation book in PDF form: http://www.paulmessier.com/pm/pdf/papers/aipad4w3.pdf

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs
    P
    Many

Guys is this the arrow you are referring to?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs  
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

?

Yes thats it Chris.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Yes thats it Chris.
    Thanks mate
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

What I have noticed recently is use of this type of pattern (type 2 without and arrow) on all types of pictures, not only portraits. Usually the paper is very whitish and you can almost smell that it was printed yesterday. Rule of thumb that I am using now is any "nice" photo with these lines in the back and no singes of wear is not worth it.

Quote by Bill T View Post
    Okay, here is a comparison of another type of "lined paper" I have studied.

These are my personal opinions.....

The one on the left is Period. (UV Neg) (same as above)
    The one on the right is Post-War. Note the arrow next to the dotted line. (UV pos..only in middle when peeled back) (Not fake, just printed at a later date)

I would be interested to hear anyone elses opinions on this, or if they have seen this before. I never stop learning in this hobby, its ridiculous!!

A few examples of war time canteen photos:

Assistance with Id'ing Fake PhotographsAssistance with Id'ing Fake PhotographsAssistance with Id'ing Fake PhotographsAssistance with Id'ing Fake PhotographsAssistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs

?

Quote by Evgeni M View Post
    What I have noticed recently is use of this type of pattern (type 2 without and arrow) on all types of pictures, not only portraits. Usually the paper is very whitish and you can almost smell that it was printed yesterday. Rule of thumb that I am using now is any "nice" photo with these lines in the back and no singes of wear is not worth it.
    Ive been seeing these on Ebay alot lately Evgeni....as well as the completely blank reversed portraits. Not all are bad of course and I wouldnt rule out pics that are in good shape per say, but like you said....some seem/smell as if they were printed yesterday. I have some more suspicious photos on file that I will be sharing soon too and would love to hear some feedback

P.S.- Ive never seen the original packaging those PK photos come in. Thanks for showing

Would be great to have your opinion on this one guys. Please mind the edges of the photo, the paper looks also very fresh (third picture has the best resolution).

Your input will be highly appreciated as this is great picture IMO

Thanks.

Cheers,

Evgeni

Assistance with Id'ing Fake PhotographsAssistance with Id'ing Fake PhotographsAssistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs

?

IMO this one Looks okay Evgeni. And yes it is, a very nice image of a Russian BA-3? now in German hands!

Guys This Sterbild (Death Notice ) is currently on German Ebay . I have Emailed my friend Charles Trang and we both agree this looks fake . Something stands out that does not Gel ,see if any of you guys can pick it ???
    I will answer in three days I will give my conclusion .....BUT LETS HEAR OPINIONS ON WHY SOMETHING ABOUT THIS SMELLS FISHY ........Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs

Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 ... LastLast