Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 ... LastLast

Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs

Article about: Well, I know there are other threads that have been started in the past about the originality of Wartime Photos. However, I frequently receieve PM's asking for advice or assitance about how

Opinions someone?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs
    P
    Many

?

It's a modern copy i'm afraid.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

I would agree Paul. The paper makes you think twice, but the image itself is undeniable.

Thanks a lot, had my doubts as well. I just remember the image from somewhere.

?

As of late, the photos & DC's meant to deceive us, are reaching a point to where we need to be on the very top of our game in order to acquire authentic period photos. I've noticed that Postcard sized portraits in particular, are being faked better than ever before. Being able to verify a fake photo over the computer is becoming even more difficult, as some look correct until you get them in hand.

It is difficult, but I think the only way to stay above it, is to keep each other informed of the GOOD & BAD sellers more frequently.

The following will be a small Updated list of EBAY SELLERS from Ebay US & DE. Buyers should use caution when bidding on these Photos or Death Cards. 100% Feedback scores mean nothing!

**(the list is not meant to Bash anyone, as some sellers may not be aware of what they are even selling. This is from my personal viewpoint, and should be used only as a tool to form your own opinion) **

My "Danger Zone Sellers List" Ebay US & DE:

12quakfrosch
    avatar8872 (fakes meant to deceive)
    photoswwii (NO WAR watermark on them---fakes meant to deceive) (he is former faker named "Tolzor1")
    Armyoutfitters (sketchy RKT pics, some originals)
    archiveman (95% fakes)
    Sargeaj (sketchy SS pics)
    OnlineKramkiste (sketchy KM photos)
    Bezgl (Mixed, most sketchy)
    20Valtentin01_com
    hgljo512 (be careful)
    ME0712xx (be careful)
    Lehesten (very good fakes meant to deceive!!!) (has some of the better fakes on Ebay.de IMO)
    Totenkopf588 (fake RKT, SS etc)
    flandern1
    adolffe
    paratrooper1942
    alex75300
    mullwin
    1388Andrew
    Nkyphotos
    bsbbooksjrp
    ramthaseth
    Wolfen486 (sketchy archive fotos, some listed appropriately)

I will continue to update this list by placing new additions at the bottom, so check back frequently for updates. I will also be adding a "Good sellers list" soon too.

richsabre
    ?

Hi,

Joined this site after seeing a name here i have bought from, and would like more info.....

"Archiveman" ..i have purchased about 6 photos of this seller, being listed as 'period photos' . being a beginner i spent some time looking at some sites, and did not see this seller's name highlighted in a 'bad' list. anyways, i sent a message first asking what these photos were, and were told that they were copies of a pro-taken photo, however developed BEFORE 1945. i was given his absolute assurance that all photos were original if stated, and that were aquired from genuine collectors in germany etc. (not that someone's word means anything of course....)

anyways, i am concerned to see this sellers name here....here is what i have. they all have printing company stamps on them. i also read that a good check on the paper, if you have no UV light, is that they should have a 'metallic sheen' to them, which all of his do. may i ask what points them out as fakes?

Assistance with Id'ing Fake PhotographsAssistance with Id'ing Fake PhotographsAssistance with Id'ing Fake PhotographsAssistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs

finally i have another seller i would like to ask about ....name is roman69

i have just purchased this one as well from him (Agfa-Brovira paper). this one is very thin glossy paper, and doesnt not have the metallic sheen i referred to above

i understand there is a learning curve with these things, but it appears i have started at the fake end of that curve...(why didnt i find this thread!!!) so if you will excuse me, i am going to bang me head against a wall for a while
    thanks
    Rich

?

Hi Rich and welcome to the forum, eveyone has to learn mate especially if you are going to collect Militaria and photos are no different i'm afraid , many , many fakes around !!

Your archiveman ones unfortunately all look like fakes , the cut of the paper /colour / texture gives some away hopefully this thread will allow you to work things out , can you post the reverse of the photos as well.

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

richsabre
    ?

hi Paul
    thanks for the quick reply....that is a shame....

here is a scan of the reverses, also below those i would like to add for references similar ones that i bought off a german seller 100-years-of-history. what about those?

now the 100 years ones

Assistance with Id'ing Fake PhotographsAssistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs

thanks
    Rich

very interesting topic...can you help me to know if these photos are fake?? thanks a lot
    Assistance with Id'ing Fake PhotographsAssistance with Id'ing Fake PhotographsAssistance with Id'ing Fake PhotographsAssistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs

Rich, all of them are canteen photos (see page 18 for a similar set). Not bad, but should be cheaper than the personal photos as they were mass produced.

Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 ... LastLast