Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs

Article about: Well, I know there are other threads that have been started in the past about the originality of Wartime Photos. However, I frequently receieve PM's asking for advice or assitance about how

?

Default Re: Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs

Quote by Kieffer View Post
    Another case for my fellow Sherlock Holmes board members.

I think there is something wrong with this picture but i don't know what.

Attachment 316966Attachment 316967

Thank you.

Regards.

Nicolas
    Hi Nicolas, this one is a good one my friend! sorry I couldnt reply yesterday.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs
    P
    Many

?

The "Album-Residue Fake"
    (this is done to ALL SIZES and TYPES of photos)

- Fake black paper glued to the back to look like it has been in an album at some point...
    (fakers will normally only do this on higher-end portraits/photos that will bring them good money)

So, sometimes we need to ignore the reverse and fall back on what we have learned about the frontal image and the cut/edges of period photos to try and spot the fakes!

**Take a look at the "GLASS NEGATIVE" scan. This is the original that was sold a long time ago. As you can see, it is much more detailed, which is soemthing that is usually lost when reproducing photos from a copy of an original. However, as you can see in the Telko fake, modern technology is improving results. Some of these good fakes, are even modernly printed from the old negatives......which is why the good detail can be achieved
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs   Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs  

Last edited by Bill T; 03-09-2012 at 04:42 AM.

?

Here is another example of "The NUMBER FAKE". As shown, you can see that this faker has went to the trouble of stamping the reverse with a fake foto-atelier/studio location stamp.

Just another method in the fakers bag of tricks! It has the same effect on a new collector as a "makers mark" on a badge/medal. (if theres a makers mark, it must be real!! right!?). Nope, So be careful!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs  

?

another variant of the "The Glossy Fake"
    (UV Positive) - Usually larger in size

- terrible detail
    - usually darker contrast
    - glossy obverse
    - this one even has a fake "agfa" stamp!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs   Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs  

Hi Bill

Great thread, I wished I'd noticed it earlier, I just received six photos that I bought from Germany, and now I think all of them are fake Five of them feel quite thick, like postcard thickness, three even have lines across the back. The sixth feels like real photo paper, so I figured at least I had one good one, and then I noticed the Agra Lupex stamp on the back! This thread should be pinned. Good work mate.

Also Bill, can you explain the business with the UV light please?

?

The "Etche Photographie Fake"
    (postcard size) (UV negative!)

** These are another High-end Fake! It is believed that these were made in the 80's from the original glass negatives, sometimes on older stock photo paper. To my knowledge, "etche photographie" is not a photo paper company.....but something to state that the photo was made on photo paper, and not printed by machine. With this being said, please know that there are indeed Period Originals that have "etche photographie" on them. **
    (can be very hard to tell when you have a good one! Usually an in-hand inspection is best in this case IMO)

- fakes will be in excellent shape usually
    - usually no writing on reverse
    - good detailed image

(image taken from 2006 WAF post)
    GOOD ONE:

BAD/FAKE ONE:

?

Quote by WHW Meister View Post
    Also Bill, can you explain the business with the UV light please?

Hi Troy,
    I am really sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but unfortunately they are bad IMHO. Good job identifying the post-war Agfa stamp tho, thats great! I do believe that the one with Agfa marks is not a fake per say, but just post-war printed. But do know that it is okay to have a thicker paper on SOME smaller sized photo paper....not all are bad if they have thicker paper. But in this case, you did good noticing that the "grey fakes" had the thicker paper.

A UV or Blacklight is a very helpful tool to have. You can get a hand-held blacklight off Ebay for around $5. What I do is check the reverse first. Get in a darker area, and shine the blacklight on the photo. If it glows (neonish glow reaction), then it should be a big red flag. Normally the entire paper "glows". BUT, in some cases the only part that will glow is the edges/serrated cut part...which is when u want to start peeling back the layer a bit! haha
    The glowing is mostly from the chemicals used in todays papers, and most likely the process in which we develop/print our photos. But remember, sometimes a period original photo will have speckles or small traces of UV reaction (glow) because of glue or tape residue from being pasted in albums/etc.
    If u need a hand with any of this, feel free to ask!

from the link provided in first post: "In the 1960ties, photographic papers were produced with optical brighteners, to make the photo look brighter and to save the photos of getting "brown" after some time. This effect can be made visible with a blacklight lamp."

example: see the "glow" on the post-war paper?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs  

?

this is what I meant about "traces of glow" on Period Originals. This is usually OKAY! This can happen when an old wartime photo gets stored with a later, more modern photo paper. Sometimes it is not as abrupt as this, but it is a good example nonetheless. If the whole entire reverse was glowing, then it would be a good sign to do some further inspection!

(from kreigsberichter.de site in OP)

Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast