Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Does Anyone Recognise This General

Article about: I know iv´e probably no chance but everything is worth a try. Does anyone recognise this German General or General Staff Officer ?

Default Does Anyone Recognise This General

I know iv´e probably no chance but everything is worth a try. Does anyone recognise this German General or General Staff Officer ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Does Anyone Recognise This General  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Does Anyone Recognise This General
    P
    Many

Default Re: Does Anyone Recognise This General

Sorry, no I.D., but please allow me to remark that he is most definitely a General officer, not just a member of the General Staff.

This is an absolute wild shot in the dark but I'm going by the few clues in the photo. He is very unkempt for a man with the rank of General. His uniform is dirty, his v-line is off, and less than presentable leather. German troops in background with shirts off doing manual labor. Even late in the war, most Generals stayed pretty clean, except on the Eastern Front. My ballpark guess would be to check eastern commands. Somebody is going to know who this guy is.

Jay

Do you have any other photos that go with this one (not necessarily of the General) which might provide more clues?

O.K., I'm going to throw out the name of General Fridolin Von Senger Und Etterlin. The image I included could be him with a few extra years on him. He was on the eastern front 1942 to 1943 and then defended Monti Cassino. I don't know how to make the picture any bigger. Anyone else see a similarity, or can find a better picture?

Jay
    Attached Images Attached Images Does Anyone Recognise This General 

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    O.K., I'm going to throw out the name of General Fridolin Von Senger Und Etterlin. The image I included could be him with a few extra years on him. He was on the eastern front 1942 to 1943 and then defended Monti Cassino. I don't know how to make the picture any bigger. Anyone else see a similarity?

Jay

Jay, I think you hit it spot on !

This has got to be the guy. His large ear lobes, sunken cheeks and
    prominent nose are a pretty good match, IMO !

Regards,

Steve.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Steve. Hitler didn't have too many skinny necked generals. I wish I was computer savey enough to know how to enlarge the picture.

Take care,
    Jay

Wikipedia.......
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Does Anyone Recognise This General  

This could be a later picture of Etterlin when he was in Italy. With a fuller face, and older. Not as much of a resemblence.

Jay

Many thank´s for the input folks, i will certainley look further into that.
    Unfortunately i do not have any other photos other than this one. The photo belongs to a work colleague and it was found in his grandfathers wartime diary( not the man in the pic). He does not know much at all about his grandfather, as usual no one will talk about the past. All he does know is that his second name was " Hoba" and came from Schlesien and was seemingly quite a high rank but of which arm of service he does not know. i have tried the German wargraves website but apart from 1 person who unfortunately has no rank registered all the others are lower ranks. If i find out anymore i will keep you posted.