Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Friends Great Uncles

Article about: My step-kids fathers great-uncles. Can anyone help identify the uniforms please. More photos to come in the near future, this time of the other uncle who was tank crew

Default Friends Great Uncles

My step-kids fathers great-uncles. Can anyone help identify the uniforms please.
    More photos to come in the near future, this time of the other uncle who was tank crew
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Friends Great Uncles   Friends Great Uncles  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Friends Great Uncles
    P
    Many

Default Re: Friends Great Uncles

I like the lady who is chugging the bottle!

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    And her partner trying to hide his amusement

Picture on the right - second from the left is my step-kids Grandmother, on her right is her Uncle wearing what looks like a kriegsmarine uniform. The first man on the left of this picture looks like he is wearing his party badge on his jacket, above him there looks like there is another jacket hanging up with a large 'B' on it???

I'm afraid only very little can be told from those photographs.

The man in the first image is an enlisted man of the Heer [Army]. He is definitely a private, but his exact rank can't be told because we cannot see his left upper arm where the rank insignia for privates would (or wouldn't) be.
    There appears to be some kind of slip-on loop on his right shoulder board. This could be the Tresse loop denoting NCO candidates, although it is in an odd position as it was supposed to be worn at the shoulder board's bottom end and not at its center. Another possibility would be one of the colored loops used as unofficial unit identification marks in wartime.
    The ribbon in his button hole appears to be the one for the Ostmedaille which would make him a participant in the Eastern Campaign and date the photograph to no earlier than 1942.

The uniformed man in the second image is indeed with the Kriegsmarine [Navy]. The only thing we can tell from this photograph is that he is a low-ranking seaman below the Senior Petty Officer ranks.
    The object on the wall is too blurred to tell anything about it.

Thank you HPL2008, I am just about to phone my friend and let him know the information that you have been able to tell us from these photos. When I recieved these photos from him, he told me that he has much clearer photos that he will 'have to dig out', including some photos of his other uncle who is wearing what looks like a panzer uniform, plus another photo of his mother standing outside the family home with swastikas flying from the houses. As soon as the other photos have been found I shall post them up on this thread.
    As a note, my friend remembers his mother talking about her brother being part of a u-boat crew, I take it that he is the brother in the Kriegsmarine uniform.
    Thanks again for your help

He also thanks you for your informative help. As he said 'that's great' as he now knows a bit more about his relations.
    Last edited by shadowwolf; 02-21-2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

and is that his great Aunty with the alcohol problem?

My kinda woman !
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

and is that his great Aunty with the alcohol problem?
    In reply to your question; I am not sure that he will take to kindly to your suggestion that the lady in the photo may have an 'alcohol problem'. And her identity is unknown, not sure who she was.

I was only joking shadow...didn't mean to offend...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast