Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

German Postcards and Photos.

Article about: Hi All, I picked up a lot of WW2 Photos and postcards today, mostly German and I'll be posting them across the next few days, I'll likely post more on this thread so as not to start too many

Default German Postcards and Photos.

Hi All,

I picked up a lot of WW2 Photos and postcards today, mostly German and I'll be posting them across the next few days, I'll likely post more on this thread so as not to start too many from this lot.

This one is a group/unit photo with a full date and writing on the back, now my German is rusty even when it's written in block letters so I've not translated this yet. It is dated 13th April 1937.

It's always interesting to see a postcard that's been filled out and posted with an intact stamp.

I hope you all enjoy,
    Matt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Postcards and Photos.   German Postcards and Photos.  

Best Regards Matt

On the look out for original ww2 M26 Adrian helmet liner.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Postcards and Photos.
    P
    Many

The first photo on this post has "Paris 1940" written on the back and shows a soldier outside "la joie d'être".

The next appears to be by a ship/boat with a few soldiers smoking and playing cards. This one also has some writing on the back, with what looks to be a name and a date of October 1940?.

The and the last on this post shows three under a bridge, there's less writing on the reverse of this one.

I don't think I'll be posting every photo, as there's 44 German and 3 U.S. photos that came from this lot.

Matt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Postcards and Photos.   German Postcards and Photos.  

German Postcards and Photos.   German Postcards and Photos.  

Quote by Steelhead10 View Post
    The first photo on this post has "Paris 1940" written on the back and shows a soldier outside "la joie d'être".

The next appears to be by a ship/boat with a few soldiers smoking and playing cards. This one also has some writing on the back, with what looks to be a name and a date of October 1940?.

The and the last on this post shows three under a bridge, there's less writing on the reverse of this one.

I don't think I'll be posting every photo, as there's 44 German and 3 U.S. photos that came from this lot.

Matt
    Hi Matt.

Great photos, thanks for sharing them with us. Here is what I read on the reverse.

Middle photo -

Ein schönes Platz dien bei
    achterlichein wird und sonne
    vor vom, Ernst Dr, Paul Carstensen und Hannes Görke beim Skat

A nice place to serve at
    Aft and sun
    Ernst Dr, Paul Carstensen and Hannes Görke playing Skat.

Skat -
    Skat (card game) - Wikipedia

Bottom photo -

Spatziergang am Mittag

Walk at noon

Kind regards,

Will.

Hi Will,

Thanks for the translations. I'll definitely keep adding to this thread from the lot I found today.

Thanks again and kind regards,
    Matt

For some further continuity, the photo with "Paris 1940" that was outside the "la joie d'être" appears to be the same soldier as the one in this that came with the lot. Some do appear to have been taken out of a photo album but I'm not sure they're all from the same source.

Matt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Postcards and Photos.  

Hi Matt.

No worries and that will be great to see some additional photos for your lot.

Kind regards,

Will.

Always good to see original war era photos. I can’t quite match the camera angle but this is the Place de La Bastille in Paris.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Always good to see original war era photos. I can’t quite match the camera angle but this is the Place de La Bastille in Paris.

Great work BC!

#2 is possibly La Moulin Rouge, a popular haunt for soldiers in times of occupation or liberation. Carry on adding photos Matt. It's always fun to try and add further context to locations if we can.

Thanks BC, certainly is interesting. Whilst not the same angle it's very close on the Place de La Bastille.

A few more today, still from the same lot as I'm sorting through and scanning them in.

The first photo in this lot here is another postcard, that appears to have been in a photo album. There is the date of 1941 on this and shows members of the luftwaffe sat on a ridge getting some rest and food.

The second photo here has what appears to be names on, although I'm not certain. This shows a group outside an old larger stone building.

The third, also appears to have previously been glued into an album with some now partial writing on. Shows five NCOs (I believe) stood under a large bridge. I'm unsure of location, I did try to google lens it but it wasn't the most helpful there

Fourth photo shows a few soldiers around atable with artillery shells on. This has writing on the back and a date of either June/July '40 or '44.

Second to last we have a photo of a unit outside a building. This is the photo with the red pen writing on the back.

The last photo has no writing on the back and shows six officers stood looking at a statue at the edge of a lake/river. Location unknown.

I feel it's also a good way to preserve them on top of keeping the originals safe.

Matt

Last edited by Steelhead10; 01-31-2024 at 01:55 PM.
    Best Regards Matt

On the look out for original ww2 M26 Adrian helmet liner.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast