Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help deciphering insignia please!

Article about: WOW! Thank you all so very much!! You have all been so helpful. We believe he may have been killed during the second world war, however, family history is a bit fuzzy in that area. The was n

?

Default Help deciphering insignia please!

I have a picture here of my great-great grandfather.

I am trying to do some geneological work and I need to know what branches he was a part of.

I am told this can be deciphered by what he is wearing. This is the only picture I have. It is from WW1, thanks.

Leah
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help deciphering insignia please!   Help deciphering insignia please!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help deciphering insignia please!
    P
    Many

Default Re: Help deciphering insignia please!

These are enlisted and NCO soldiers of the German army in the III. Reich, not in the First World War. If the collars of the field blouses are field grey, and not dark green, then the experts here can date the photo better can I, but perhaps in the early years of the war. The eagle/swastika on the breast is seen both in its off white version and a grey version, which also indicates that this image was made once the war had begun.
    The field blouse here was introduced in the mid 1930s. The age of certain of the figures suggests to me the possibility of some training base of the unit.

There is a rubric here for photos and also for army uniforms, whereas this space is for the SS.
    Needless to say, the German Army and the SS were two separate institutions.

The image is not from the First World War, but certain of the figures here plainly might have served in said conflict, but this image is from say 1939 through maybe 1941 or so.

The man in the peaked cap is senior in his NCO rank, and seems to have a wound badge from the First World War, but I cannot really tell.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 04-08-2012 at 11:33 PM.

?

Indeed, the image is of men in WWII uniforms, as my esteemed colleague has already highlighted, and not of WWI personnel. The two central figures in your image however, could well have served during the earlier conflict.

Regards,

Carl

p.s. Welcome to the forum, I hope that you will enjoy your time here, and also find it both informative and rewarding.

?

Thank you for your replies. In further discussions with my family we have determined that this photo is actually my great grandfather and was in fact during the 2nd world war, as you have successfully determined. Do you have the link to the places on the forum that you suggest I should visit instead?

Thanks so much!

Is there any writing on the back of the photo?

?

Look at the thread titled "new photo pick-ups" and some members may be of more help. Also, you might get a lot moire info based soley on your gg-pa's name, then check the german archives or have a pro help with the record search.

Hi Leah, welcome to the forum and good luck with your Genealogy research. I too am doing my family tree. I am back to 1580.

I have moved your thread to here for you.

Your Grandad wears a ribbon bar: one award looks like the War Merit Cross with Swords. Another could be the Cross of Honour with Swords for WW1 service. The middle one is hard to make out.

On the shoulder straps, but sadly not clearly shown, he wears a "slip on" shoulder title. This would have displayed either a letter or letter/number combination which would have designated his unit. It might be a "L" with a number under it. This would fit with the age of the men, being part of a Landesschützen-Bataillone.

He wears the rank chevron of a Grefreiter on his sleeve.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Here are a pair of slip on titles from my collection to illustrate:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/heer-...ap-titles-797/

It we had the number from the photo, it would be easy to research the unit like I have done on these.

Hope this helps?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Leah: The Deutsche Dienststelle in Berlin has everything you want to know about your great grandfather. Since you are a direct blood relative they will provide you with his military records. You can locate them by entering Deutsche Dienststelle in Google or using this email address: double decal-info@double decal-wast.de You will need his full name and date of birth. Good luck. Dwight

Was he killed in WWII perchance?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast