Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Help Name That GENERAL thread

Article about: by Adrian Stevenson Hi Jay, I think you are right. Not 100% sure about this. But the Luftwaffe General might be Albert Kesselring? Cheers, Ade. Agreed,Ade. Good 'ole "smiling Albert&quo

?

Default Help Name That GENERAL thread

I figured alot of us have original photos showing "General's" that we cannot ID/name. Even by sharing your photo of a General that you already know the name of, it might help someone else Identify the General on there photo! So lets see your original General photos!

I have more, but I'll start the thread with this one.......
    Can someone Name this General at award ceremony?? Many thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help Name That GENERAL thread
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Help Name That GENERAL thread

Nobody has ANY General photos?? Can anyone take a guess at either General? (I have a handful more but seems like there isnt any interest.)

Heres a Gebirgsjager General in Norway dated 1940 if anyone could take a guess, it would be appreciated. This one could be a little tougher since its not a great shot of the general himself.

I see a DKIG, EK1, and Spange if that helps any. Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Name That GENERAL thread   Help Name That GENERAL thread  

This thread can become a very useful learning tool for people like me that don't have a lot, or any books to reference back on.
    I think I said before that I have another hobby and this type of thing is done often. It does not need to stop with Generals.
    The only way things like this are helpful is once the correct answer is given, by guess or knowledge, it should be explained in
    some depth. Looking at a picture and some one saying that's Gen. Harpe and getting a pat on the back without some back ground
    info is worthless.

I for one like this idea and do show interest. Great idea,
    Rudy

?

Thank you Rudy. I appreciate the response. I agree that this can be of some use in not only Identifying Generals, but to learn something about them as well. Photos especially can teach many things, in this case....where a particular person was at a specific time, what they were doing, who they were involved with, etc etc. One thing I personally like doing once I find out who the person in a photo is.....is to research them and learn a little something about them. We are all here because of an interest in history, so this is a perfect opportunity for everyone, to learn some new things while helping each other ID some photos. All photos that are in need of IDs are welcome.

I guess I will post the ones I have that I already know the names of to get this rolling. Any added info you might know about a certain General is more than welcome also.

?

Heres one Ive shared before.

Generaloberst Hans-Valentin Hube (middle)- General der Panzertruppen :
    -Winner of Knights Cross w/ Oak Leaves, Swords, and Diamonds (swords+diamonds were personally given to him by Hitler)
    - Served in WW1 where he lost his left arm and was poisoned by gas and hospitalized
    - commanded the infamous 16th Infantry division through many major battles including attempted capture of Stalingrad
    - promoted to Generaloberst of the 1st Panzer Army (Huge panzer/armoured force)
    - died in a plane crash in April of 44

Obstlt Rudolf Sieckenius - (to the right of Hube in leather jacket) - Later promoted to Generalmajor
    - served in WW1 as platoon commander for the 154th IR
    - served in Landespolizei (local police) for 14 years until ww2
    - ww2- commanded the infamous 16th Panzer Divsion under the more infamous 1st Panzer Group
    - He is also known for being screwed over by Hitler after Salerno, and Hitler assigned him to command 391 reserve group in which he
    died with defending Berlin at the end of April of 45
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Name That GENERAL thread   Help Name That GENERAL thread  

?

Im guessing this photo was taken in Russia when the 16th IR was made part of the 16th Panzer division, but split into two groups....with Hube and Sieckinius being the commanders. Both were pre-knights cross in above photo

?

Should be an interesting thread Bill , certainly the one above looks like it's in the Steppe !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

This one might be difficult, but i own this picture and i would like to know who he is:

Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

?

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Should be an interesting thread Bill , certainly the one above looks like it's in the Steppe !
    Youre right Paul.....you cant see anything in the background but grass/land etc.!

Vegar, thank you very much for adding to the thread. I will try to look into yours while searching for mine! Alot of these photos are tough to see the full face because Im sure it was hard to stop a General in his tracks and ask for a picture. haha

?

Help Name That GENERAL threadHelp Name That GENERAL threadI got this new one, But I need some help with a translation guys! It might be able to help identify this Army General. Thanks for any help

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast