Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Luftwaffe Battle of France album.

Article about: Thanks again chaps for your replies, i posted this just before going to bed,hence the slow reply! Anyway i have just had a closer look at the album and it has nearer 100 photo's in it,also s

Default Luftwaffe Battle of France album.

Hi all,i just picked up this album which appears to be from an airfield anti-aircraft gunner.It has over 50 photographs all from 1939-40,many destroyed british and french aircraft(destroyed by the RAF on the ground!!)and some shot down/crash landed luftwaffe aircraft.Also there are trips to Paris(in uniform) and the beach.What i need help on is this,one picture shows what i think are French prisoners of war and the back has German writing on it that i cannot read.Could anyone help me out on this one? Thanks in advance, Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Battle of France album.   Luftwaffe Battle of France album.  

Luftwaffe Battle of France album.   Luftwaffe Battle of France album.  

Luftwaffe Battle of France album.   Luftwaffe Battle of France album.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe Battle of France album.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Luftwaffe Battle of France album.

Would the French have had their colonial troops in Northern France in 39-40 ?

?

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    Would the French have had their colonial troops in Northern France in 39-40 ?
    Yes they did it 's quite common to see photos of coloured troops in the Battle of France !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

The photo says Prison Camp near ........... can't make out the location etc
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Yes they did it 's quite common to see photos of coloured troops in the Battle of France !!
    Cool, was not aware of that, I thought they were only called upon later on, IE Italy and Cassino where the French excelled themselves, but the colonial troops did not do themselves any favours

?

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    Cool, was not aware of that, I thought they were only called upon later on, IE Italy and Cassino where the French excelled themselves, but the colonial troops did not do themselves any favours
    Interesting comment what's the history behind it ?

1st July 1916

Put it this way, the local Italian women were not treated very well !!! The Free French Division performed one of the most successful campaigns at Cassino

EDIT: Should read The French Expeditionary Corps

Hi Leon,

Interesting last photo there of a Bf 109 of JG 53, the famous 'Pik A s'. The camouflage is very unusual for this period. Here's a bit of info about them regarding the Battle of France and later the Battle of Britain.

The Geschwader commenced its wartime operations with a high proportion of its personnel experienced ex Condor Legion pilots. Including Oblt. Werner Mölders ; Staffelkapitän of 1./JG 53 based at Wiesbaden. On 14 May 1940 JG 53 claimed some 43 on that one day. The Battle of France thus saw the Geschwader score heavily during May and June 1940, with some 275 claims against Armee de l'Air and Royal Air Force forces, Mölders claiming 25 kills thus far, and Lt. Friedrich-Karl "Tutti" Müller with 8 kills. Geschwaderkommodore of JG 53 during the spring and summer of 1940 was Major Hans-Jürgen von Cramon-Taubadel. While JG 53 was making a reputation for itself during the Battle of Britain, according to RAF Air Ministry intelligence summary no 60, Reichsmarschall Hermann Göring was informed that Major Jurgen von Cramon-Taubadel's wife was Jewish. Göring then ordered the whole of Stab/JG 53 to remove the "Pik As" emblem from their planes, and replace it with a red stripe around the engine cowling as punishment. All of Stab./JG 53's planes immediately were stripped of their "Pik As" insignia, and soon after the whole of the Stab./JG 53 had also stripped the swastikas off the tails of their planes in protest. During this phase of the Battle of Britain, Stab.JG 53's planes were easily recognizable because of the red band and the absence of a swastika on the tail of their Bf-109's. On 30 September Major Günther Freiherr von Maltzahn became Kommodore and the Stab.JG53 was allowed to paint the "Pik As" back on their Bf-109's, removing the red band from their cowlings.

The Geschwader was one of the most effective during the Battle, claiming 258 kills for 51 pilots killed or POW, with Hpt. Hans Karl Meyer the top scorer with 21 kills, Hpt. Bretnutz 18 and Lt Schmidt 17 claims. JG 53 claimed its 500th victory in November 1940.

Source, Wiki.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

The location is Marin *ourg - can't make out that first letter. Tried a general search without luck. NH

Great album with great photos, nice find!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast