Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 132 of 365 FirstFirst ... 32 82 122 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 142 182 232 ... LastLast
Results 1,311 to 1,320 of 3646

New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share

Article about: Wish the picture was better but after looking through some books I'm now leaning to a Mauser Modle HSe da auto pistol. 1938 7.65mm in competing with the Walther PP. The wood grip lead me to

?

Default Re: New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share

Well, while we are on the whole "Signals" thing....here are a few Postcard sized Heer Signals pics of the same man
    Looks as if he was one of the more decorated men in his "platoon/sqaud"
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share   New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share
    P
    Many

Quote by Panzer1031 View Post
    My question would be, What year do you think this photo represents judging by uniforms alone? After 1940 since there is breast eagle in wear?
    Also, I found it interesting that they wore Chest straps or "Sam-Brown" belt type straps. Would this be something worn only to benefit there signals trades or certain types of work?.... Or was it common to see in early wear based on personal preference?
    This photo was taken much earlier than 1940.

While it is true that the breast eagle was introduced for the Fliegerbluse only in 1940, it was already worn on the uniform tunic [Rock] - i.e. the garment worn by the men in this photograph - since 1935.

Actually, the year of 1935 (or - at the very latest - early 1936) is just how I would date this photograph:

Some of the Feb./March 1935 uniform changes following the Luftwaffe's "coming out" have already been implemented by these men (adoption of the Luftwaffe breast eagle instead of the DLV arm eagle), some have been partially implemented (Luftwaffe cap badges replacing the DLV pattern worn by all men except for one), some have not yet been implemented (lack of sleeve rank chevrons).

The "Sam Browne" cross strap was worn by all ranks of the DLV; this practice was carried over into the early Luftwaffe. Per orders dated 24 January 1936, it was discontinued for enlisted ranks and only retained for officers.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 09-17-2011 at 01:13 PM.

?

Awesome HPL!! That was well needed info, for me at least, especially about the waffenrock adlers. I definitely had a feeling it was pre-1940 as well (not as early as 35 tho!), but the breast eagles got me thinking too much! Good to know about the Sam BrownE style straps as well, since I own very few standard Luftwaffe photos with these in wear. The lack of sleeve chevrons was something I actually did not notice until you had mentioned it in your first post. I wonder why the trades badges cannot be identified? You would think that it would be somewhat self-explanitory that they would be related to Signals/communications. Ive searched all over the place for this patch online...but nothing.
    Again, thanks alot HPL....I learned alot through that photo's study-conversation.

?

A few more....
    - Standarte
    - Heer MG position
    - soldat w/ what could be DJ member
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share   New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share  

A few more....
    - Standarte
    - Heer MG position
    I want that flag they are holding in the first Pic Bill

soldat w/ what could be DJ member
    Naw, the boy is wearing civilian clothing. Still a nice snapshot, though.

Speaking of Luftwaffe breast eagles and transitional phases, here are two photos taken ca. 1940 illustrating the period when the breast eagle had already been introduced for the Fliegerbluse but not yet adopted by all men:

I am trying to figure out how that kid in the background got up there! He looks like a future Gebirgsjaeger to me...

?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Speaking of Luftwaffe breast eagles and transitional phases, here are two photos taken ca. 1940 illustrating the period when the breast eagle had already been introduced for the Fliegerbluse but not yet adopted by all men:
    Nice HPL. Interesting that the Unteroffizier w/ the little girl hasnt regulated his fliegerbluse yet and the Gefreiters already have. Do you know how they went about changing/upgrading there bluse? Would this be something that a private tailor did, or would they apply insignia themselves?
    I know there are certain times when a tailor is needed for personal modifications, but who would actually apply the breast eagles/similar?

OB- HAHA! Now that you mention it, I really dont know how the heck the 2 children got up there! Definitely future GJ's!

Do you know how they went about changing/upgrading there bluse? Would this be something that a private tailor did, or would they apply insignia themselves?
    I know there are certain times when a tailor is needed for personal modifications, but who would actually apply the breast eagles/similar?
    Sorry; but I must admit I don't know anything about the period regulations and practices behind such measures and have never studied them.

Maybe issue items were upgraded by the units' own clothing maintenance workshops and contracted civilian craftsmen while private-purchase tailor-made garments (like officers' uniforms or enlisted ranks additional "walking-out" uniforms) were taken to private tailor shops?

Like I said, I really don't know.