Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 321 of 365 FirstFirst ... 221 271 311 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 331 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,210 of 3646

New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share

Article about: Wish the picture was better but after looking through some books I'm now leaning to a Mauser Modle HSe da auto pistol. 1938 7.65mm in competing with the Walther PP. The wood grip lead me to

?

Default Re: New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share

HPL, I may need you expertise on this one...... What I get out of it is something about not knowing who the photographer is or something? I've also never seen the word "dilletant" before. But here is the photo......a nice pic of Erdkampfabzeichen in wear. The tabs are most likely flak, but I dunno.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share   New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share
    P
    Many

Quote by Bill T View Post
    HPL, I may need you expertise on this one...... What I get out of it is something about not knowing who the photographer is or something? I've also never seen the word "dilletant" before. But here is the photo......a nice pic of Erdkampfabzeichen in wear. The tabs are most likely flak, but I dunno.
    Hi Bill,
    Nice photo!
    I would say the tabs are a little light for Flak, possibly signals yellow.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Hi Ralph, I agree, they do look light. At first I thought maybe Green for LwFD, but field divisions weren't put into effect until October 42, so judging by the date of the photo....the chance of him being in an actual Field Division unit could be slim.? I would agree with yellow being the most reasonable.

A cool sidefact----Did you know that Luftwaffe Field division Troops (not Fallschirmjager) would even wear Yellow sometimes?? Check out #3:
    (Osprey LwFD book)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share  

Quote by Bill T View Post
    Nice photo. Personally, I think the collar tabs are the golden yellow of the flying branch. (Also worn by groundcrew and all personnel not falling into one of the other specific branches.)

As for the text: "Dilletant" (obviously) means "dilettante" and could also be translated as "dabbler", "amateur" or "bush-leaguer". The text is written in rhyme. Here's what it translates into (not rhyming anymore, of course):

"In the east, 22 Nov. 42

These days, it can happen
    that we don't tell us the truth.
    With the Obergefreiter,
    the photograph - a dilettante,
    - he did not even know himself -
    has "created" a - picture - one could argue about that,
    however, since it has happened in Russia's wasteland,
    weeeeeeeeelll...
    so here it is anyway!
    With cordial greetings:
    the Heinzelmann
    "

Not quite sure what this is all about. Apparently, the young Obergefreiter seen in this picture was not happy with the result but took it with humor... or perhaps he was actually satisfied and this is a print of the picture that he gave and signed to the comrade who had taken the photo, pulling his leg with this little poem? Naturally, we will never know. (Objectively, it is not a bad photo at all, but many people - myself included - never really like how they look in photographs.)

PS: As for the "Heinzelmann"... The Heinzelmännchen are a sort of benevolent leprechaun race appearing in a well known German folk tale/fairytale. "Heinzelmann" appears to have been the man's nickname, perhaps resulting from his actual name (such as the first name "Heinz" or a surname such as "Heinzmann") or given to him for some other now-obscure reason. More speculation, of course...

?

haha! Like you said, He wasn't happy with the outcome it seems. That's great. I appreciate your time/expertise Andreas, as always. Oh and I agree w/ you and Ralph.... Golden Yellow. I always like when photos have longer than usual text on the reverse.

Hi, a French POW march, most of them seem from the colonies.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share  

A few more
    Cheers
    Nuno
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share   New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share  

This is the most intriguing of the lot.
    I cant figure out exactly the writing but looks "Tag der Wehrmacht".
    Can it be correct?
    Anyway, the man seem to be naked and some officers are carrying daggers and cameras.

Quote by NunoGTI View Post
    This is the most intriguing of the lot. I cant figure out exactly the writing but looks "Tag der Wehrmacht". Can it be correct? Anyway, the man seem to be naked and some officers are carrying daggers and cameras.
    Yes; it says "Tag der Wehrmacht 1940" [= "Armed Forces Day 1940"].

On this annual day, many public demonstrations etc. were held by the troops, one of which we clearly see here. (Notice the civilians, including numerous women and children.)

Apparently, the interior of a barracks room or military billet is "simulated" outdoors (notice the beds, chairs, table, water pitcher, field gear etc.) The man on the chair is not naked, but in white underwear. The two soldiers in front of him appear to be part of the "performance".

Perhaps they are demonstrating to the public just how quickly a soldier can get washed-up and dressed? It could also be that they are simply performing some kind of comedic skit for the public's entertainment.

?

Pretty neat photos Nuno!

Here is a trio of Germans with some captured French Adrians and Tommy lids!