Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 34 of 365 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 44 84 134 ... LastLast

New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share

Article about: Wish the picture was better but after looking through some books I'm now leaning to a Mauser Modle HSe da auto pistol. 1938 7.65mm in competing with the Walther PP. The wood grip lead me to

?

Default Re: New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share

Ned, HPL....You guys are great. I appreciate all the info and IDs.

Ned, you are very right. That most certainly looks to be Major Oesau. Although the Hauptmann's face is kinda tough to see....it still looks to be Balthasar, and would make perfect sense too. I am VERY happy you caught that. I have much respect for both men, but Oesau is someone who has always been interesting for me to read about. Many thanks again my friend

HPL....awesome Info. I have seen that sileasean eagle badge many times before in photos, but never knew the exact Event it represented. Thanks for the link. I also overlooked the small writiing on the bottom left of the sign that you caught. And, yes the skull is definitely not a unit insignia....but a badass statment. haha I cant believe how many LV Hannover photos are out there......and from different sources too. The different variations of collar tabs and devices never seize to amaze me on StahlhelmBund photos. Oh, and I should have known the SA insignia, my bad for asking that dumb question. Thanks again.

GoodPwny, great pics. Love the barrage balloon....very neat image. thanks for sharing again

The General in the last photo is IDed as General Werner Von Fritsch (sorry to post a reichswehr photo)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share
    P
    Many

Quote by Panzer1031 View Post
    HPL....awesome Info. I have seen that sileasean eagle badge many times before in photos, but never knew the exact Event it represented.
    You're welcome. Google-ing around for additional reference, I just found a good image of this tinnie (although it is mis-labeled as Freikorps-related):
    Silesian Eagle Freikorps 1931 Event Badge

Just be careful not to confuse it with the Silesian Eagle 1st Class [Schlesischer Adler / Schlesisches Bewährungsabzeichen 1. Klasse] as seen here...:
    http://www.omsa.org/photopost/data/5..._1st_class.jpg

...or the Polish White Eagle:
    http://thumbs.valka.cz/attachments/1...bs/Slezsko.jpg

The RAD also used Silesia's heraldic eagle - in a streamlined, stylized form - for its tradition badge of Arbeitsgau XI:
    http://www.muenzauktion.com/monaster...d100412102.jpg
    Last edited by HPL2008; 05-21-2011 at 06:24 PM.

Quote by Panzer1031 View Post
    Thanks Chris, and by the way....I like your new avatar. New cross recently??
    Yeap got it a month ago with a few more. I have 3 more on the way now
    Excellent panzer photos you posted today Bill.
    I've sent you an email regarding the 14 lot photos.
    Pwny that's an awesome Zeppelin. I love those things
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

?

Hey Chris, good call on the zepplin......I couldnt think of the word earlier, and called it a good ol' barrage balloon. Just got ur email man. Sounds like ur going EK-crazy. haha awesome. Cant wait to see em. The avatar EK looks like a beauty too.

HPL, Great to see the badge up close. To be very honest, I was thinking of a completely different badge...and i think it was a WinterHilfsWerk tinnie I was confused with. So I am glad you were able to show me the correct badge/tinnie. I can see how some could confuse it with freikorps if you didnt know much about the StahlhelmBund. Anyway, good info and cool to know what the LV Hannover men are wearing. (And yes, I have seen the multiple tinnies on the caps before, like you were speaking of. Pretty neat IMO) Thanks again

I always remember their name because of the rock band Led Zeppelin
    I have a few my self. When i see one for sale BOOM, i hit it
    Just need to dig in my stuff and find them, in order to post here.
    Just let me know something guys. Where do you keep your photos that are singles not belonging to any album? In a box, do you use box files or modern photo albums?

Sorry guys, but allow me to point out that these thingies are no Zeppelins and would not have been referred to as such.

Traditionally, the term Zeppelin described rigid airships - i.e. airships with a full internal structural framework such as the famous, ill-fated Hindenburg - based on Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin's concepts. (Nowadays, though, the Zeppelin company builds semi-rigid airships.)
    Non-rigid airships - i.e. those containing no internal framework or supporting keel - are called "blimps" (for example the modern-day Goodyear Blimps). These would sometimes be called Zeppelins colloquially, but incorrectly.

An Observation Balloon [Beobachtungsballon] as seen in the photograph in post # 329 (note the gondola) or a Barrage Balloon [Sperrballon], however, is neither, as it is not an airship at all, but simply a tethered, unpowered, non-dirigible balloon.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Sorry guys, but allow me to point out that these thingies are no Zeppelins and would not have been referred to as such.

Traditionally, the term Zeppelin described rigid airships - i.e. airships with a full internal structural framework such as the famous, ill-fated Hindenburg - based on Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin's concepts. (Nowadays, though, the Zeppelin company builds semi-rigid airships.)
    Non-rigid airships - i.e. those containing no internal framework or supporting keel - are called "blimps" (for example the modern-day Goodyear Blimps). These would sometimes be called Zeppelins colloquially, but incorrectly.

An Observation Balloon [Beobachtungsballon] as seen in the photograph in post # 329 (note the gondola) or a Barrage Balloon [Sperrballon], however, is neither, as it is not an airship at all, but simply a tethered, unpowered, non-dirigible balloon.
    Hey Andreas. So the pic on the left is a Zeppelin and the one on the right is a Blimp?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share  
    Attached Images Attached Images New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share 

They got uploaded in an up and down way
    So the upper is a Zeppelin and the lower a Blimp?

The first one (the famous LZ 127 "Graf Zeppelin") is indeed a Zeppelin in the truest sense of the word.

The other image is not a blimp, but an observation balloon.

A blimp (in German "Prallluftschiff") is a category of airship. Airships are steerable, powered, lighter-than-air aircraft. Balloons, on the other hand, are unpowered, buoyant aircraft that travel with the wind or - like this one - are tethered.

See here for a definiton of the various categories of airships that might help to clear things up:
    Airship FAQ

And - admittedly with no connection to WW2 whatsoever - check out this link to see the mother of all blimps: The Super Blimp - Video
    Last edited by HPL2008; 05-22-2011 at 04:44 PM.

Thanks mate. Not only you have a never ending knowledge but also a link for everything

Page 34 of 365 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 44 84 134 ... LastLast