Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 341 of 365 FirstFirst ... 241 291 331 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 351 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,410 of 3646

New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share

Article about: Wish the picture was better but after looking through some books I'm now leaning to a Mauser Modle HSe da auto pistol. 1938 7.65mm in competing with the Walther PP. The wood grip lead me to

I debated posting this, but after consulting a few folks here, decided to go ahead. I find the image a powerful reminder of the underlying events surrounding what we collect here, and hope that will be your takeaway as well.

Photo was taken by soldiers of the 97th Division Gebirgsjaeger (204th Regiment) of a destroyed KV-1 Russian tank, with detached turret to its right. The previous 3 photos I posted were from this unit as well, on their way along the eastern front. Also an unfortunate and sad reminder of the cost of war, and of those who gave their lives for their country, and thereby for the rest of the world to live free.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share
    P
    Many

Quote by avenger View Post
    I debated posting this, but after consulting a few folks here, decided to go ahead. I find the image a powerful reminder of the underlying events surrounding what we collect here, and hope that will be your takeaway as well.

Photo was taken by soldiers of the 97th Division Gebirgsjaeger (204th Regiment) of a destroyed KV-1 Russian tank, with detached turret to its right. The previous 3 photos I posted were from this unit as well, on their way along the eastern front. Also an unfortunate and sad reminder of the cost of war, and of those who gave their lives for their country, and thereby for the rest of the world to live free.

A shocking sight.

A hit in the ammunition storage, since the turret has flown off?

There was another photo in the set that I didn't get shot from closer to the tank, on the other side. I believe from that photo if I recall, it appeared like the tank was heavily damaged close to the rear, on the side not shown. The track is gone on that side, and is quite torn up along that side and near the rear.

German occupied Warszawa 1939...no idea what they might be looking for?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Not sure that the Red Army was fighting the Germans so that the rest of the world might live free? Stalin had other designs for the world that included the occupation and repression of most of Eastern Europe and whatever else he could get his hands on. One terror for another.

Quote by StefanM View Post
    Not sure that the Red Army was fighting the Germans so that the rest of the world might live free? Stalin had other designs for the world that included the occupation and repression of most of Eastern Europe and whatever else he could get his hands on. One terror for another.
    Yeah, that's true, which is why I used the word "thereby", as to point out their sacrifice is connected to our freedom today, even if not by design. I hope in a weird way that makes some sense....

I feel like even though they either fought for Russia or were forced to fight for Russia, we all share in the benefits of the defeat of the German regime of the day, for which the Russian soldiers don't seem to get as much credit as they deserve in the west IMO. I would like to clarify though, this is not praise for Stalin or his government. You are correct to make that distinction for me.

On your photo, that is a curious picture but I quite like it. It's a Panzer 1, with early white cross marking, so unless it's been stolen it's their tank. Maybe there's someone inside the tank that they're talking to while checking it out like they would a cool car?

Nice photo's guys.

Yeah, that's true, which is why I used the word "thereby", as to point out their sacrifice is connected to our freedom today, even if not by design. I hope in a weird way that makes some sense....

I feel like even though they either fought for Russia or were forced to fight for Russia, we all share in the benefits of the defeat of the German regime of the day, for which the Russian soldiers don't seem to get as much credit as they deserve in the west IMO. I would like to clarify though, this is not praise for Stalin or his government. You are correct to make that distinction for me.

On your photo, that is a curious picture but I quite like it. It's a Panzer 1, with early white cross marking, so unless it's been stolen it's their tank. Maybe there's someone inside the tank that they're talking to while checking it out like they would a cool car?
    I agree, that without the (and often overlooked) enormous human sacrifice of the ordinary Russian people the Germans would most certainly not have been defeated. But had then again had Hitler not decided to attack his erstwhile ally the entire outcome and history for Europe would have been vastly different and there might indeed have been a Thousand Year Reich.

Default "Butcher of Warsaw" captured in Japan September 1945

Not sure if this is the right type of photo for this thread but anyway, a news agency photo I picked up .....

Josef Albert Meisinger (14 September 1899 – 7 March 1947), also known as the "Butcher of Warsaw", was a German SS colonel in the Gestapo and Nazi Party member. He was arrested in Japan at the end of World War II, convicted of war crimes and was executed in Warsaw, Poland.

Josef Albert Meisinger - Wikipedia

Maybe there's someone inside the tank that they're talking to while checking it out like they would a cool car?
    Quite possible, or they are simply interested in the vehicle itself, making use of the chance to see it up close. It is worth noting that they are not soldiers but members of some uniformed auxiliary service (possibly RAD): Note the "Deutsche Wehrmacht" armbands and the lack of shoulder boards.