Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 83 of 365 FirstFirst ... 33 73 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 93 133 183 ... LastLast

New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share

Article about: Wish the picture was better but after looking through some books I'm now leaning to a Mauser Modle HSe da auto pistol. 1938 7.65mm in competing with the Walther PP. The wood grip lead me to

Default Re: New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share

Quote by KSH View Post
    Andreas: And another question that makes no sense if he was just a regular post man.
    To avoid confusion, let us first get the nature of his SS membership straight.

In the photographs seen this far, he is a member of the Allgemeine SS, and a rather low-ranking one at that.
    The vast majority of the personnel in the Allgemeine SS' units where unpaid volunteers and part-timers, who carried out their SS duties in addition to their daytime jobs (in the evenings and on weekends or holidays). Only the senior officer ranks and a small cadre of administrative personnel were full-time salaried SS members.

So the fact that he wore two different uniforms in the same timeframe (one for his daytime job with the postal service and one for his Allgemeine-SS duties) is in no way unusual.

I really think your original theory that he doubled as a mailman and something of a guard at Hitler's residence is the right one. I am not familiar with the finer points of Hitler's personal security arrangements, but I would not be surprised if the local Allgemeine-SS unit helped out with security- and guard duties at Hitler's residence at this early time.

Be that as it may: We definitely know that he was both an A-SS member and a postal official. Both is clearly evident from the photographs.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share
    P
    Many

KSH
    ?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    To avoid confusion, let us first get the nature of his SS membership straight.

In the photographs seen this far, he is a member of the Allgemeine SS, and a rather low-ranking one at that.
    The vast majority of the personnel in the Allgemeine SS' units where unpaid volunteers and part-timers, who carried out their SS duties in addition to their daytime jobs (in the evenings and on weekends or holidays). Only the senior officer ranks and a small cadre of administrative personnel were full-time salaried SS members.

So the fact that he wore two different uniforms in the same timeframe (one for his daytime job with the postal service and one for his Allgemeine-SS duties) is in no way unusual.

I really think your original theory that he doubled as a mailman and something of a guard at Hitler's residence is the right one. I am not familiar with the finer points of Hitler's personal security arrangements, but I would not be surprised if the local Allgemeine-SS unit helped out with security- and guard duties at Hitler's residence at this early time.

Be that as it may: We definitely know that he was both an A-SS member and a postal official. Both is clearly evident from the photographs.
    Thank you for this info, Andreas. I don't find it strange that he wore two different uniforms within the same time-frame. It is the location where he wears his SS uniform that is important. The Führer's mail was also something of great importance. I don't believe that Hitler's mail would have been entrusted to a standard post man going his normal rounds. It is my belief that our man was responsible for the mail going to and from Haus Wachenfeld exclusively. There are no photos showing him deliver anything anywhere else. Another important clue you yourself pointed out is that on some photos he is wearing a swastika armband while in his postal uniform (just like SA/SS etc), and I have never seen a post man do that on any photos I have seen. His SS-pennant on the bike also fits into this neatly, without proving anything really. So I also believe my original theory is quite plausible.

But as you say, the only rock solid facts here are that he was both affiliated with the post and the SS. But there are a lot of circumstantial evidence also IMO. You have helped me tremendously with this album so far, Andreas and without you I couldn't even have formed my theory.

- Kenneth

?

Flakkampfabzeichen in wear

II. Flak Regiment 38 - Russland (reverse)

#2- Panzer "533" ...does anyone know what "ausf series"? w/ the 3rd gun?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share   New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share  

Last edited by Bill T; 07-09-2011 at 07:43 PM.

?

Panzer I in a city
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share  

KSH
    ?

Default Photoalbum belonging to a SS-guard at Haus Wachenfeld (Berghof) who was also a post man - part 6 (last part)!

#34: (our man in his usual post outfit I presume?)

#35: Wonderful photo showing the SS performing their original purpose and duty. Can anyone guess who is the star of the show?

#36 (Andreas: is this his standard post outfit we are seeing here with these dark collar tabs?)

#37:

#38:

THE END of the album proper.

I also have nine loose photos that came with the album that most certainly belonged to our man (the original owner of this album). I shall post them before long!

I hope everybody have enjoyed these photos as much as I have myself.

- Kenneth

?

Thank you for posting this album here Kenneth. I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially with the Postschutz/SS twist.....a side we rarely get to veiw. I know Andreas can answer better, but the man in the 2nd to last photo sure looks to have Postschutz tabs and you can just barely see the sleeve patch on the upper left arm too. Check out the trousers tho!? I could be wrong, so hopefully HPL chimes in. Again, thanks for sharing

KSH
    ?

Quote by Panzer1031 View Post
    Thank you for posting this album here Kenneth. I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially with the Postschutz/SS twist.....a side we rarely get to veiw. I know Andreas can answer better, but the man in the 2nd to last photo sure looks to have Postschutz tabs and you can just barely see the sleeve patch on the upper left arm too. Check out the trousers tho!? I could be wrong, so hopefully HPL chimes in. Again, thanks for sharing
    It was a pleasure to post them here! I am happy to share these photos, and I hope that my watermarking of the photos doesn't ruin the experience of seeing them. I of course have my reasons for doing this, but I have watermarked every single photo individually to ensure that no interesting details are lost to you all.

In your opinion Bill, is our man always depicted around Haus Wachenfeld and on his motorcycle in a Postschutz uniform as opposed to the standard Reichspost uniform?

- Kenneth

?

Honestly Kenneth, I dont know much about Postal Uniforms. I always thought Reichspost Uniforms were almost a Navy Blue color, but not too sure about this early period. Our guy seems to be wearing a Reichspost cap, but collar tabs look to be postschutz to me. Then again, early Reichspost tabs had "star" insignias on them and it is hard to tell. So I dont know what to think. I do like the last photo with him in the motorcycle pants tho! Hopefully HPL or someone can give us a precise answer?

Just for info, this is what I think of when I hear Reichspost tunic: The Collector's Guild

Oh, and I absolutely agree with your decision to watermark your photos. Like you, I also place my watermark in spots where it doesnt take away from the image!

Also, is that Eva wearing the french looking black cap in the Hitler photos?
    Last edited by Bill T; 07-10-2011 at 06:05 AM.

I like the new pics, Bill T! You and the boys have been doing a fine job keeping this thread going! I gotta sort some pics and get back in it.

?

Quote by Good Pwny View Post
    I like the new pics, Bill T! You and the boys have been doing a fine job keeping this thread going! I gotta sort some pics and get back in it.
    Thanks man. I hear ya, I actually took a little break myself.....but Im startin up again. haha Hope to see sumthin from you soon my friend!

Page 83 of 365 FirstFirst ... 33 73 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 93 133 183 ... LastLast