Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Officer portrait, please help with identifying the type of unit

Article about: Hello, I am struggling to identify the collar tabs. The picture surely does not help much, I am afraid, but hopefully could maybe somebody with a trained eye and nevertheless recognize what

?

Default Officer portrait, please help with identifying the type of unit

Hello,

I am struggling to identify the collar tabs. The picture surely does not help much, I am afraid, but hopefully could somebody with a trained eye recognize what kind of unit this officer belonged to.

Officer portrait, please help with identifying the type of unit

Could it be artillery? Or maybe some other type of unit?

Any thoughts or remarks regarding further details are more than appreciated. I aquired this picture some time ago and try to learn as much as possible. So far, I just assume the picture could be taken around 1943 or later as the officer seems to already have the Eastern Front medal in his ribbon bar.

Thank you.

Pavel

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Officer portrait, please help with identifying the type of unit
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Anything would be a guess. Unfortunately there are not any other real clues from the uniform.

I think the red of artillery would be darker in the photo, maybe panzer pink?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Anything would be a guess. Unfortunately there are not any other real clues from the uniform.

I think the red of artillery would be darker in the photo, maybe panzer pink?
    I would tend to agree.

It's pretty much impossible to identify a specific branch color from a black-and-white photograph with any degree of certainty.

However, compared to the appearance of what we know for certain to be the color red in the EK2 and Ostmedaille ribbons, the branch color on the Litzenspiegel and especially on the shoulder board underlays looks too bright to be that.

So: No ID, but I would tentatively say that it's not red.

Unfortunately, there is no combat badge that would give us a clue to his branch, either.

MAP
    ?

Good point on the ribbon bar color Andreas. Will remember that next time.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thank you very much for your kind help and valuable input! Even an educated guess is a considerable progress - if nothing else, I know now that the officer did not belonged to the artillery. Pink would indeed be the closest option one can hope to recognize from the picture.

Just out of curiosity: could the ribbon on the right side be from West Wall medal (Deutsches Schutzwall-Ehrenzeichen)?

Third ribbon appears to be the Westwall. It would be in the correct order on this bar. NH

?

Thank you for confirming the third ribon, Neil.