Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

One soldier's story in pictures

Article about: H, What a great story thanks very much. Steve

?

Default Re: One soldier's story in pictures

Thank you for sharing this post with us H.P. I as well missed it the first time around it is important that we keep the memories of are famlies alive through pictures and first account written history as this tells the true story of who and what we are .Many of the younger generation do not understand I think what it was like to live in the world at such a time and that being a soldier no matter what the country was an honorable profession and that many men and women volunteered to serve there countries at a time of need or when they were called to arms did not hesitate to enlist. Your Grandfather had a long miltary carrier in a terrible time and is fortunate to be able to return home to his family. I would be proud of him and his achievements.

Regards Mark K

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement One soldier's story in pictures
    P
    Many

Many thanks for all the kind comments!

Thank you for sharing your Grandfathers history. I am glad he survived the war. To know this kind of history gives meaning to the collecting we do, in that it adds a personal touch. Would that we could all know more of our own family histories, but sadly much is lost because they don't talk about it.

?

Yes, Thanks Andreas. I remember viewing this thread a while back, but it was even more interesting this time around. I really enjoyed the photos and the excellent details/history that accompanied them. You are very lucky to have such items and to know such detailed information of your Grandfathers past. Very cool to see the uniform variations over the years too! (I liked the pic of frau Marta in his uniform!) Very sad that he was wounded so badly, but I am grateful that he was able to return home to your grandmother and live a life that was well deserved after making it through tremendous hardship.
    No doubt that he had to grow up VERY quickly in order to survive the times.

?

Andreas a wonderful snapshot of a man who lived and fought through these times , thanks very much for posting !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Thanks a lot for sharing this! I am also glad to hear your grandfarther survived the war.

Thanks for posting this, what a journey!

Thanks for posting this! He seems like a great man. Could you please go into detail as to what he did after the war?

We should look upon the veterans of all wars with respect and admiration, no matter what country they fought for.

I am jealous of you. I wish that I had photos of the people from my family who served in various wars throughout the years. Do you have anything that he was issued during his service?

Fascinating story and a tough man-how many could take a hit from a Russian Tank and still go home? Did he survive long after the war? William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thanks for sharing!
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast