MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Postcard translations

Article about: Hi Chaps & HPL2008, here's a new photos I picked up today. I really don't know what to make of this one. Are they HJ Helfer? Why the insignia attached to the caps? Hopefully it can be wo

Default Re: Postcard translations

Quote by DUJAILAH View Post
    Hi Chaps & HPL2008, here's another KM Coastal Art. I need help to translate. It's in Sütterlin script (I presume) so I'm totally stumped
    ...And so am I. Sorry, but I can't make out a single word of this one. Pretty, but really odd handwriting.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Postcard translations
    P
    Many

Thanks for looking at it HPL2008. One that will remain mysterious Cheers, Richard.

Hi Chaps & HPL2008, here's a new postcard of a happy Heer soldier. As usual I need help to translate. I can pick out a few of the obvious bits; but not the lot.

The way he's wearing his cap is unusual to me & he seems to be wearing a badge on the side in the WW1 Austro-Hungarian style. Shame more of the badge can't be seen,

Thanks in advance for any help,

Cheers,

Richard.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Postcard translations   Postcard translations  

It says...

"Immer nur lächeln!
    A. toi.!
    Dein
    [...]
    15.9.1943 südl. [= südlicher] Ladoga-See"

...meaning...

"Always keep smiling!*
    A. toi.!**
    Your
    [signed]***
    15 Sept. 1943 Southern Lake Ladoga"

*) A rough translation. This phrase is a reference to the (still) popular song "Immer nur lächeln" from the operetta Das Land des Lächelns (The Land of Smiles) by Franz Lehár. See here for a 1929 recording of the song: RICHARD TAUBER SINGS IMMER NUR LACHELNS 1929 - YouTube

**) This is not German. While the spelling is a bit off, apparently this is supposed to be "À toi!", a French salute/toast meaning something like "Here's to you!" (Or at least that's what I gather from some online research; I don't speak French.)

***) Sorry, can't quite decypher the signature.

I think thats really nice.I gave my wife a locket with the engraving of ''Dein ist mein ganzes Herz'' .(You are my hearts delight).also sung on you tube.True I am a romantic

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    It says...

"Immer nur lächeln!
    A. toi.!
    Dein
    [...]
    15.9.1943 südl. [= südlicher] Ladoga-See"

...meaning...

"Always keep smiling!*
    A. toi.!**
    Your
    [signed]***
    15 Sept. 1943 Southern Lake Ladoga"

*) A rough translation. This phrase is a reference to the (still) popular song "Immer nur lächeln" from the operetta Das Land des Lächelns (The Land of Smiles) by Franz Lehár. See here for a 1929 recording of the song: RICHARD TAUBER SINGS IMMER NUR LACHELNS 1929 - YouTube

**) This is not German. While the spelling is a bit off, apparently this is supposed to be "À toi!", a French salute/toast meaning something like "Here's to you!" (Or at least that's what I gather from some online research; I don't speak French.)

***) Sorry, can't quite decypher the signature.
    Many thanks HPL2008, brilliant work as usual. I like the way he mentions the smile & how he's trying to cheer up his obviously worried wife. The Youtube link is great & really adds to the story,

Cheers,

Richard.

Hi Chaps & HPL2008, here's a new photo of an SS soldier with his mother & sisters. As usual I need help to translate. I can pick out a few of the obvious bits; but not the lot.

Cheers,

Richard.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Postcard translations   Postcard translations  

It says...

"[...] bei seiner
    Durchreise
    Oktober 1944
    ."

"[...] when he was
    passing through
    October 1944
    ."

(I'm not sure about the name.)

Many thanks HPL2008, top work as usual,

Cheers,

Richard.

Hi Chaps & HPL2008, here's a couple new photos I picked up this weekend. First a medical officer. As usual I need help to translate. I can pick out a few of the obvious bits; but not the lot.

Cheers,

Richard.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast