Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Rommel Photos?

Article about: Acquired these 2 photographs some while ago and was wondering if they are authentic. May be hundreds of them around by they certainly look genuine. Am looking to sell off some stuff before l

Default Rommel Photos?

Acquired these 2 photographs some while ago and was wondering if they are authentic.
    May be hundreds of them around by they certainly look genuine.
    Am looking to sell off some stuff before long but wouldn't want to mislead potential buyers.
    Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rommel Photos?   Rommel Photos?  

Rommel Photos?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rommel Photos?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Rommel Photos?

The top one is a very well known image, indeed my wife has one in her collection, which came with a British female Officers group.

They look "OK" to me. But I would shine a blacklight on them to check for any glow. The problem is they get reprinted.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Spot on Ade , i have the top image as well , for some reason this is avery common image.

Mine is a modern copy as i suspect many of this image are !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

hi , have seen 2 sets of these images on ebay uk recently ,was going to hit the button on them untill i saw the second set on sale . other set i saw was marked agfa bovaria. so seems to be a few examples around , as ade said try the blacklight test . dont look like the russian scribble copies . but appears to have been many reprints of them pre/post 45?? who knows......paul

?

agree with what has been said here. Something worthy of looking for after blacklight test....is fake photo makers markings. (agfa, mimosa, velox, etc) These have been all over Ebay for the past 6 months and becoming more popular. Alot of people see the markings on the back, and think they are all set, but sadly not true. These markings are literally being stamped onto the photos....some on good wartime paper but modernly printed, some fake paper/fake markings. One thing to look for is the makers stamp to be crooked or not aligned with the other markings.
    here are a couple examples of fake markings. (the mimosa one is kinda hard to see, but is fake nontheless). Good luck and I hope for the best turnout for your photos.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rommel Photos?   Rommel Photos?  

Thanks very much everyone. Was always a little suspicious of the first one as have seen this image before.
    Have to admit that if fake they are very very good.
    Dont have a UV light for test and may not bother getting one.
    The Velox markings on the reverse are quite interesting though.
    They do line up with each other in both photos but I have measured the distance between the marks and although they don't match up in the first one, they are spot on with the second.
    Might just put them back in the drawer.

It must be nice to have a wife that shares your hobby-lucky fellow- All this and heaven to.