Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Signed Drawing- Is It Rudel?

Article about: I have this nice signed drawing. The stylized beginning of the signature is throwing me, and it's not a Stuka, but I'm thinking that it be might be Hans Rudel. I wonder if anyone might know

bdc
    ?

Default Signed Drawing- Is It Rudel?

I have this nice signed drawing. The stylized beginning of the signature is throwing me, and it's not a Stuka, but I'm thinking that it be might be Hans Rudel. I wonder if anyone might know or have a better idea.
    Greg
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Signed Drawing- Is It Rudel?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Signed Drawing- Is It Rudel?
    P
    Many

The drawing is dated 1988?

Hans Rudel died in 1982...

bdc
    ?

Hi Blackcat, I believe the artist uses the handle "Ortega 88" in reference to the anti aircraft gun. I have an unsigned tribute to Molders which he also signed with that moniker. I believe that this was probably signed at an air show sometime in the 70's. This picture came from a relative that participated in the confederate air force and the artist may have just been a talented member as well.
    Greg

Thanks for the additional info Greg, I'd just assumed that it was a date. Hopefully others will confirm the signature. Its a nice drawing of a Butcher bird.

bdc
    ?

I misspoke, the other drawing I have is a tribute to Galland not Molders. It's not signed by Galland, but I think it's well done so I'll include it.
    Greg
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Signed Drawing- Is It Rudel?  

its actually 'L Ortega'... followed by the date of the drawing.

Signed Drawing- Is It Rudel?Signed Drawing- Is It Rudel?

bdc
    ?

Thank you Harry, I stand corrected and also want to thank you for sharing your drawings. I was going off pics I took a number of years ago and my old eyes saw 88 again. I dug the Galland picture out of safe keeping (it's a large drawing and unframed) and it is indeed 89. So as Black Cat pointed out the signature on the subject drawing is not Rudel. I'm at a loss as to who signed it.
    Greg

The drawings are not in my collection, I came across them on the internet. Lonnie Ortega is a prolific aviation artist. Have a look on his website.... 'Lonnie Ortega Aviation Art.' Your signed picture might actually be right... in as much it might be a facsimile.

Cheers,
    Steve

bdc
    ?

Thank you Steve, I went to the artists website and I saw what you're saying. I took the picture out of the frame, got out my jewelers loupe and the plane and Ortega's signature are printed. The print dots are plain to see. The mystery signature however is completely different and is not composed of dots, it appears to be have been written with a marking pen. There are also very subtle bumps in the texture on the back of the print under the signature only. The relative this came from frequented air shows and had a signed Polaroid of himself posing with Galland that he cherished. However he was also just as capable of having a facsimile as he loved all things German. I believe that this one is a live signature on a print, but who could it be?