Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS soldiers and frauleins having a beer.

Article about: I thought the expressions were interesting especially the soldier on the left covering his face.

Default SS soldiers and frauleins having a beer.

I thought the expressions were interesting especially the soldier on the left covering his face. SS soldiers and frauleins having a beer.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS soldiers and frauleins having a beer.
    P
    Many

?

You are right. That is a great photo

Yep, I like these images that show no specific events but capture a kind of "zeitgeist".

I don't think the soldier on the left is really covering his face deliberately, rather he is in a "we were drinking" pose if a pose at all.

We can't see much of their uniforms but I don't see any kind of wartime distinction so I am guessing this represents the pre-war "halcyon days" before things got hot, sweaty and very real!!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

CBH
    ?

Too bad his cuff title is blocked by the chair, great photo.

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    I don't think the soldier on the left is really covering his face deliberately, rather he is in a "we were drinking" pose if a pose at all.

We can't see much of their uniforms but I don't see any kind of wartime distinction so I am guessing this represents the pre-war "halcyon days" before things got hot, sweaty and very real!!
    Indeed: He's not covering his face, he's simply finishing his beer.

It is actually a wartime photograph for sure.

Collar- and collar patch piping have already been discontinued. The field blouses are of the army model and display wartime simplifications: The collars are not of dark green badgecloth anymore, but of field grey base cloth and the lower patch pockets of the man on the right are unpleated. Resting on the knee of the beer drinkin' man on the left is a second model SS field cap, which is already without the soutache. I would tentatively date the photo to no earlier than 1942.

(Come to think of it, the very fact that they are wearing their field grey field uniforms while taking their ladies to the Biergarten is a clue that this is a wartime image: Prior to the outbreak of war, the black service dress was the only permitted walking out-, dress- and parade uniform for all branches of the SS.)

Thank-you for that description. Your perspective gives the photo a depth not seen with the eye alone.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    It is actually a wartime photograph for sure.

Collar- and collar patch piping have already been discontinued. The field blouses are of the army model and display wartime simplifications: The collars are not of dark green badgecloth anymore, but of field grey base cloth and the lower patch pockets of the man on the right are unpleated. Resting on the knee of the beer drinkin' man on the left is a second model SS field cap, which is already without the soutache. I would tentatively date the photo to no earlier than 1942.

(Come to think of it, the very fact that they are wearing their field grey field uniforms while taking their ladies to the Biergarten is a clue that this is a wartime image: Prior to the outbreak of war, the black service dress was the only permitted walking out-, dress- and parade uniform for all branches of the SS.)
    Spot on as usual Andreas! I was just looking for distinctions, you were looking at the whole image, in my job I really should know better

Still, 1942 for these guys is a bit before it got really "gritty" and they certainly have no combat badges to "show off"

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Didn't mean he was actually hiding his face, however he is smirking.

The shoulder board of the man on the right, with the cuff title, appears to have something more than just a button on it.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

CBH
    ?

I noticed that same thing Ralph, looks like a slip on tab, as the piping is blocked.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast