Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

SS-Untersturmführer, captured in Normandy

Article about: Have been searching my books for any caption which may id this one but can't find one , something in the back of my mind says Hohenstaufen but that may be way off the mark !!

?

Default Re: SS-Untersturmführer, captured in Normandy

Have been searching my books for any caption which may id this one but can't find one , something in the back of my mind says Hohenstaufen but that may be way off the mark !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS-Untersturmführer, captured in Normandy
    P
    Many

One guy in an other forum wrote that:

Régiment "Deutschland" à Notre-Dame-de-Cénilly (Manche), 28 juillet 1944

Picture 1 : Prisoners from the Deutschland Regiment of the Das Reich Division at Notre Dame de Cénilly, july 28, 1944, one day before the Roncey pocket.

La 2e SS Panzer Division "Das Reich" - Le blog de Normandie1944

Quote by klinger View Post
    how woud you look after capturing of the enemy
    I hope, not like that ...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS-Untersturmführer, captured in Normandy   SS-Untersturmführer, captured in Normandy  

Quote by Reibert View Post
    @ Dave and Ade

This man is not your enemy, (nore he was then ...) !
    This man was a soldier, and, believe me, I really don´t think, he was "posing" for the camera´s ! ...

Yes, this man was wearing the uniform of the Waffen-SS, but, do you really think, he was "better" or "worse" than other German soldier´s, (or some soldier´s they´re wearing british, american, french or russian uniform´s ?) ?

This Lieutenant surely "spent" some bitter year´s of fighting on the Western, (maybe also the Eastern ?), front.

Not every soldier, wearing the "double Sig-rune" on his collar, was a monster ...

The Grandpa of my "Ex" was also wearing the Waffen-SS uniform but I know, he don´t was a "lover of war" ...

Great words

UHU
    ?

The picture of the SS soldier being searched was taken by Robert Capa in Normandy (June-July, 1944). Capa was working for LIFE magazine at this time. He is the same photographer who took the famous series of shots depicting American troops storming Omaha Beach on the morning of June 6th.

Magnumphotos

Thx. !

?

The pics are truly interesting. I wish everyone keep discussing about historical facts without steering off track. These are strong pics and indeed will evoke strong feelings in everyone watching them. Keeping in mind this is a militaria forum it should not be difficult to avoid OT comments. Thank you
    Regards

Matt

?

Reibert, i accept your point of view, but i made no discreditable remarks regarding this soldier, i made light of a photo and added a caption, if you check through one if my threads i related a story of a friends father who was captured by a unit of ss and not only was he allowed to live he was released with a packet of cigarettes, so i agree that there were good and bad on all sides, however the ss gained areputation of cruelty and if history is correct committed atrocities which were deemed unacceptable by the western powers. Wartime creates all types of human behaviour and not always good. I cast no dispersions on soldiers of that era everyone was fighting for a cause that they believed correct at that time

Quote by Reibert View Post
    I hope, not like that ...
    Hello,
    In my opinion, you should not claim this sort of things from a single picture.
    Who says that this guy was beaten up or manhandled after his capture...?
    This very well known picture taken in Normandy show a young WSS Panzergrenadier, most probably from SS-Panzergrenadier regiment 25 or 26 who has been wounded by a bullet in the mouth. Other photos of the period report of which this photo is taken from show him as well...not brutalized, just wounded and captured. Fortunatly for him the bullet didn't touch any vital part of his body and the war is over for him.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images SS-Untersturmführer, captured in Normandy 

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Quote by JPhilip View Post
    Hello,
    In my opinion, you should not claim this sort of things from a single picture.
    Hello !

I´m not doing that, this two pictures only are examples ...

Rgds.,

R.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast