Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

SS-Untersturmführer, captured in Normandy

Article about: Have been searching my books for any caption which may id this one but can't find one , something in the back of my mind says Hohenstaufen but that may be way off the mark !!

Default Re: SS-Untersturmführer, captured in Normandy

Hello,
    examples of what ?
    member Klinger did ask you a question : how woud you look after capturing of the enemy ?
    and your answer was : I hope not like that..and you posted two pics that are supposed to show PoWs not in so good condition.
    Sorry to say, but this is exactly what you did....you did show the picture of this young Panzergrenadier and you suggested that he has been ill-treated...which is far from being the case here...this boy was wounded in combat, not ill-treated after his capture...
    By showing a single picture of this soldier you can make it say anything you want. Don't misunderstand me, this is not a personal thing, but i'm rather trying to say that sometimes taking short ways might be the right mean to make mistakes, and this is not meant to history only...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS-Untersturmführer, captured in Normandy
    P
    Many

?

Gentlemen this thread started as a simple request for information about a well know series of photos taken in Normandy ,why are people making comments that are starting to lead down another track altogether , one which doesn't need to be discussed here ?

Some good info has been given re the photographs which is what the thread is about , lets leave the other comments be,

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Reibert View Post
    One guy in an other forum wrote that:

Régiment "Deutschland" à Notre-Dame-de-Cénilly (Manche), 28 juillet 1944

Picture 1 : Prisoners from the Deutschland Regiment of the Das Reich Division at Notre Dame de Cénilly, july 28, 1944, one day before the Roncey pocket.

La 2e SS Panzer Division "Das Reich" - Le blog de Normandie1944

So, if this is true, a list of all the officers in that unit will begin
    to narrow it down.

There's bound to be surviving lists in archives...............
    Regards,

Steve.

tplatts
    ?

I have read elsewhere that this officer (with the head bandage)was pointed out as being involved in war crimes, hence him being separated out and searched.
    I too have been fascinated over the years to discover more about his fate. I understand that a lot of high ranking people were captured at Roncey, and that the action was quick and effective, hence the looks of surprise and indignation displayed.

I also have a recollection that there are more photos in this series in the museum at Bayeux.
    A poster is also correct about Capa taking the pictures.

Incidentally, from this area , I have a relic MG34 (Mortain), MP40 (Carentan) Mauser Bolo ( Coutances), EK1 ( Valognes), and CC Clasp (Carentan)- all collected over the years.

Very interesting !

Thx. !

R.

Bakercp117
    ?

The book "Breakout from Normandy" by Mark Bando 1999 goes into some detail on this Notre Dame de Cenilly Robert Capa photo. It attributes the men from Das Reich Deutschland Regiment or the Engineer Bn. The American MP is purported to be Lt. Paul Unger of West Alexandria, OH. The book relates that the tall SS officer POW wearing the overcoat could possibly be the man that one of the GIs butt-stroked in the head with his Thompson on the previous day. Great book to read with many pictures!

?

Hi This is a very Famous Photo and over the years still gaze at it and i also heard it was a group of Das Reich Prisoners.

Greg

?

Quote by Reibert View Post
    @ Dave and Ade

This man is not your enemy, (nore he was then ...) !
    This man was a soldier, and, believe me, I really don´t think, he was "posing" for the camera´s ! ...

Yes, this man was wearing the uniform of the Waffen-SS, but, do you really think, he was "better" or "worse" than other German soldier´s, (or some soldier´s they´re wearing british, american, french or russian uniform´s ?) ?

This Lieutenant surely "spent" some bitter year´s of fighting on the Western, (maybe also the Eastern ?), front.

Not every soldier, wearing the "double Sig-rune" on his collar, was a monster ...

The Grandpa of my "Ex" was also wearing the Waffen-SS uniform but I know, he don´t was a "lover of war" ...
    Great words Reibert

?

Quote by tplatts View Post
    I have read elsewhere that this officer (with the head bandage)was pointed out as being involved in war crimes, hence him being separated out and searched.
    I too have been fascinated over the years to discover more about his fate. I understand that a lot of high ranking people were captured at Roncey, and that the action was quick and effective, hence the looks of surprise and indignation displayed.

I also have a recollection that there are more photos in this series in the museum at Bayeux.
    A poster is also correct about Capa taking the pictures.

Incidentally, from this area , I have a relic MG34 (Mortain), MP40 (Carentan) Mauser Bolo ( Coutances), EK1 ( Valognes), and CC Clasp (Carentan)- all collected over the years.
    Where do you have read? I'm finding information about this young officier, but not is so easy.
    The french author Jean Claude Perrigault in his book "Gotz Von Berlichingen", Vol. I, identify this officier as Kurt Peters, III/Battalion, 37 Regiment, 17 Ss Panzergrenadier Gotz Von Berlichingen; Mark Bando, in his book "Breakout from Normandy, 1999 attributes this man from Das Reich Deutschand Regiment or the Engineer Bn.
    I don't belive that we not knew about his fate, he was a POW! He is survivor at the war, he is died in a prisoner camp? He was involved and processed for war crimes?

Best regards

Blume

?

Perhaps this man??? But I think it is only a doppelganger with the same name

Salut

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast